turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your favorite slate topped combo

Started by Alabama556, January 18, 2024, 07:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greentrout

I have a sycamore grey slate over slate from Travis Wyatt that's killer. Also really, really like my Brad Roberts green slate in cedar pot. And my first pot call still sounds great. The old Primos Battey slate.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Bowguy

To my ear and the best slate and one I use the most is Busters green slate. Most guys green slates I like but I think Busters is the def number 1.

Tom007

My Platz Maple Slate over glass plays real nice and soft.......
"Solo hunter"

trclark

I like red slate over glass in walnut pot John Sinclair, also have a red over aluminum and green over brass, all great calls! My go to is red over glass with ipe striker.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

RiverBuck

I've got a gray slate over copper in a black walnut pot with a purple heart striker that sings.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 18, 2024, 09:14:43 AM
I am a firm believer of good, old-fashioned gray/black slate over a glass sound board.

I've been using a walnut pot one I built myself for about the last 20 years.  No idea how many turkeys it's caused to die. 

Words of wisdom right there! I like them all, but something about a grey slate over glass - and the majority of mine tend to be in a walnut pot. I have a lot of other different woods with the same setup, and while they at times may be a prettier wood as for as the eyes - there is just something about walnut that tends to make it a good turkey killing pot.

I have a Lonnie Mabry grey slate over a cherry soundboard in a walnut pot that I might be willing to turn loose of if anyone wants one (Love his pots - I have four - thought I had three but found an extra one when going through my calls last week after selling two to another gentleman off of Old Gobbler). I use Trumpets more and more and can probably make it with just the remaining three till I am too old to hunt. You can Private message me if you are interested.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

tracker#1

I asked Buster to build me an old-school black/black slate soundboard in a walnut pot and very happy I did...

gobblers roost

Cody slate, and a wynne persimmon slate

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Aaron7155

Buster red slate in a persimmons pot is absolute turkey its the best slate I've herd

trclark

I have a red slate over glass in a walnut pot that is always in my vest, it just has that pop to it.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quackhound

My favorite is Buster's green slate over slate in a Mahoe pot.