OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your favorite slate topped combo

Started by Alabama556, January 18, 2024, 07:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama556

I am having a couple of slate calls built and I don't know the differences in the various types of slate. Any recommendations on what type of slate and what to use as a sound board?

Yoder409

I am a firm believer of good, old-fashioned gray/black slate over a glass sound board.

I've been using a walnut pot one I built myself for about the last 20 years.  No idea how many turkeys it's caused to die.  I also have a great walnut "Professional Series" by Hally Caller (good luck trying to find one, now), a figured canarywood by Redbeard (DUDE !!), and a recently acquired bubinga one from Lon Trice, which is OUTSTANDING !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TJ3152

I use a Buster Halford persimmon red slate with JLH canarywood and frogwood strikers that is pure turkey! 

Greg Massey

I love a good slate call of all colors of slate in a controlled environment.. But most of the time the weather in my area doesn't like slate calls in the early spring season. So my go to calls are ceramic and crystal ... But now I do have all the flavors of slate pot calls regardless ...

3bailey3

My favorite is a Bill Lyman grey double state, next is a Buster red slate and next would be a Townsend purple slate, I have another from a guy here in Ms. I can't even remember his name but it's a good one, has that mellow tone!

bbcoach

IMO, I believe a hardwood pot with Pennsylvania gray slate and a glass sound board makes the most realistic turkey sounds.  Pair this call with a laminated striker, like JLH's Frog wood, and you'll have a DEADLY combination.  If you want to tone down the slate and have a KILLER finishing call, use a cedar pot with a wood sound board.

PALongspur

I definitely prefer grey slate over a glass soundboard but it would be followed closely by grey slate over wood soundboard.

paboxcall

On board with gray slate over glass, with Tuscarora Legend "Jake-Taker" being my favorite.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

310 gauge

I'm fine with a double gray slate, the older & darker the better.

bowbird87

Buster red slate
Platz cherry/maple grey slate
Lonzo birdseye maple or yellowheart grey slate

wchadw

green slate in cedar pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I don't know that I have a favorite wood to have it in, I do not have enough experience to say that yet but I am rather partial to green slate myself.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

captpete

My favorite is a grey slate over grey slate in a black walnut pot by Jimmy Schaffer. 2nd is a tie between a green slate over glass in wormy chestnut pot from Paul "Bubba" Hicks Jr. and Buster's red slate over slate in a Persimmon pot.

shatcher

Crghss

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...