OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where turkeys go during the day?

Started by YoungGobbler, January 14, 2024, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: YoungGobbler on January 16, 2024, 06:58:17 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on January 16, 2024, 06:47:43 AM
A lot of solid answers here. On hot days, they will seek shade. I have found mid to late morning that the birds are by water ie; streams, ponds etc. I set up in the hardwoods along streams during this time and have had real good success. I read that they not only seek the water here, but the bugs, grubs, and other insects are part of their desired diets....
That's also another Sub-question I have... Don't know if it's worth starting another tread for it... But what do they eat? Again... I see them picking moslty corn form fields... But apart from that... Are they more plants, leafs, insects? And in winter where there is no oak tree and snow (lots of it...) ?
So many questions i wish i could answer  :TooFunny:

Turkeys are omnivores and will eat pretty much anything they can fit in thier mouths. Certain times of the year have them leaning towards specific kinds of food. In the spring/summer months it's protein for maintenance and growth. Bugs, plants, and small critters like lizards, snakes, even crayfish are on the menu.

In the fall/ winter it's high carb/ energy foods to generate body heat and to put on a layer of fat that will get them through the spring breeding season.

Hens coming out of winter in optimal shape have higher nesting success. My impression from what I've heard and read is a hen coming out of winter in good shape can turn her efforts to protein consumption sooner than a hen in lesser condition. She's able to produce better healthier eggs sooner and get them on the ground early and have enough energy stores to keep her feeding efforts to a minimum while incubating and rearing her polts. I've heard more than few people state early nest are more successful than later.

Gobblers need to be in optimal shape coming out of winter as well. With his focus on keeping and possibly upgrading his status in the flock and the breeding duties that may come with it, he spends less time feeding and more time carrying on. His condition coming out of winter will most likely have some impact on his status in the flock. The better his shape and energy reserves the more likely he's able to spread his genes to the next generation.

Quality access to high energy foods like acorns or just corn has many benefits. If deep snow takes that away turkeys will live in the trees eating buds. Not preferred and the turkeys will be in poorer condition coming into spring most likely effecting polt production. Prolonged cold and deep snow is a double whammy so to speak. I've heard reports where turkeys are able to withstand some pretty extreme cold. Like -70 degrees cold if they have access to good food. The number I heard may have been even colder than that.

So when a guy asks where do the turkeys go the obvious answer is where the food is most of time barring extreme weather conditions. The big question is what are they eating? There maybe a mayfly hatch going on the local stream and the turkeys are streamside picking bugs. Heck, the hayfield may be loaded with grasshoppers as well and the turkeys are picking "bugs!" So the turkeys could reasonably be in 2 different areas eating "bugs".

Determining where turkeys are is pretty easy on the keyboard. In the turkey woods not so much. There are a multitude of things to considered when looking for turkeys. Environmental factors, food sources, and time of year  are just a few of them when trying to stumble into some. Having a good knowledge of the land and the turkeys needs and habits will definitely narrow your search when throwing darts at the board trying to locate them
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Brillo

I have also found them in the spring in my (big woods) area hanging around clear cuts where they pretty much can't be seen.  I discovered this by calling over a clear cut one afternoon because I was too lazy to walk through it.  I was trying to raise a bird in the timber area behind the clear cut and was surprised to get a response off to the  side. Never mind the fact that I am always surprised to get a response to my calling!  ???  That led me to explore the clear cut a bit where I found a dust bowl and other scat.  I have since raised and called in several birds that way.  My caveat is that I have never gotten a shot in a clear cut so consider that.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 16, 2024, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: YoungGobbler on January 16, 2024, 06:58:17 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on January 16, 2024, 06:47:43 AM
A lot of solid answers here. On hot days, they will seek shade. I have found mid to late morning that the birds are by water ie; streams, ponds etc. I set up in the hardwoods along streams during this time and have had real good success. I read that they not only seek the water here, but the bugs, grubs, and other insects are part of their desired diets....
That's also another Sub-question I have... Don't know if it's worth starting another tread for it... But what do they eat? Again... I see them picking moslty corn form fields... But apart from that... Are they more plants, leafs, insects? And in winter where there is no oak tree and snow (lots of it...) ?
So many questions i wish i could answer  :TooFunny:

Turkeys are omnivores and will eat pretty much anything they can fit in thier mouths. Certain times of the year have them leaning towards specific kinds of food. In the spring/summer months it's protein for maintenance and growth. Bugs, plants, and small critters like lizards, snakes, even crayfish are on the menu.

In the fall/ winter it's high carb/ energy foods to generate body heat and to put on a layer of fat that will get them through the spring breeding season.

Hens coming out of winter in optimal shape have higher nesting success. My impression from what I've heard and read is a hen coming out of winter in good shape can turn her efforts to protein consumption sooner than a hen in lesser condition. She's able to produce better healthier eggs sooner and get them on the ground early and have enough energy stores to keep her feeding efforts to a minimum while incubating and rearing her polts. I've heard more than few people state early nest are more successful than later.

Gobblers need to be in optimal shape coming out of winter as well. With his focus on keeping and possibly upgrading his status in the flock and the breeding duties that may come with it, he spends less time feeding and more time carrying on. His condition coming out of winter will most likely have some impact on his status in the flock. The better his shape and energy reserves the more likely he's able to spread his genes to the next generation.

Quality access to high energy foods like acorns or just corn has many benefits. If deep snow takes that away turkeys will live in the trees eating buds. Not preferred and the turkeys will be in poorer condition coming into spring most likely effecting polt production. Prolonged cold and deep snow is a double whammy so to speak. I've heard reports where turkeys are able to withstand some pretty extreme cold. Like -70 degrees cold if they have access to good food. The number I heard may have been even colder than that.

So when a guy asks where do the turkeys go the obvious answer is where the food is most of time barring extreme weather conditions. The big question is what are they eating? There maybe a mayfly hatch going on the local stream and the turkeys are streamside picking bugs. Heck, the hayfield may be loaded with grasshoppers as well and the turkeys are picking "bugs!" So the turkeys could reasonably be in 2 different areas eating "bugs".

Determining where turkeys are is pretty easy on the keyboard. In the turkey woods not so much. There are a multitude of things to considered when looking for turkeys. Environmental factors, food sources, and time of year  are just a few of them when trying to stumble into some. Having a good knowledge of the land and the turkeys needs and habits will definitely narrow your search when throwing darts at the board trying to locate them
Thanks for your answer, it light's up my lightbulb a little more...

Kylongspur88

All good answers here. I'll add that on a warm afternoons I'll often target grassy fields or clear cuts. Like said above Gobblers love eating grasshoppers and other bugs. Those areas are are a good food sources when the temps rise and the bugs are out.