turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where turkeys go during the day?

Started by YoungGobbler, January 14, 2024, 08:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

The question is simple... But where turkeys go during the day?

I always spot turkeys when they are feeding in fields... But I have never seen a turkey roaming in the woods like deer do... I can't even imagine them... So from the moment turkeys leave the field... Honestly I don't know where they go... What kind of forest they prefer, what are there patterns?

Do you have any observations you'd like to share about turkeys, in their habitat, during the day?

Lcmacd 58

They absolutely go to the hard woods .... they are much harder to spot in the trees

Greg Massey

Turkeys don't necessarily roam all day, they will move around and do a lot of just setting and resting during the day... On really hot days they will look for cooler areas to hangout etc....I've seen gobblers sitting under cedar trees on the edges of fields for hours just relaxing ..... They will move around and listen for hens and protect themselves for predators.

g8rvet

After they have bred, the hens move to the thick cover areas to nest.  That is why Mr. Tom is easier to call in later in the morning to early afternoon.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

PharmHunter

YoungGobbler

Tom007

A lot of solid answers here. On hot days, they will seek shade. I have found mid to late morning that the birds are by water ie; streams, ponds etc. I set up in the hardwoods along streams during this time and have had real good success. I read that they not only seek the water here, but the bugs, grubs, and other insects are part of their desired diets....
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Quote from: YoungGobbler on January 15, 2024, 09:46:08 PM
Quote from: PharmHunter on January 15, 2024, 03:07:50 PM
Underground tunnels mostly. ;)
Explains everything...  ;D

Hadn't thought of that possibility.  Over the years, I had just come to the conclusion that the turkey gods scooped them all up and took them off to another planet for the day.  I have to admit, underground tunnels does seem more reasonable now that I think about it.   :D ;D

PharmHunter

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 16, 2024, 08:51:43 AM

Hadn't thought of that possibility.  Over the years, I had just come to the conclusion that the turkey gods scooped them all up and took them off to another planet for the day.  I have to admit, underground tunnels does seem more reasonable now that I think about it.   :D ;D

Another possibility here! lol

YoungGobbler

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 16, 2024, 08:51:43 AM

As said above... Solid answers here  ;D  :TooFunny:

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2024, 11:17:30 AM
Turkeys don't necessarily roam all day, they will move around and do a lot of just setting and resting during the day... On really hot days they will look for cooler areas to hangout etc....I've seen gobblers sitting under cedar trees on the edges of fields for hours just relaxing ..... They will move around and listen for hens and protect themselves for predators.
So they would roam, but also do a little bit like deers do... Find a safe and comfortable place to rest for the day...

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Tom007 on January 16, 2024, 06:47:43 AM
A lot of solid answers here. On hot days, they will seek shade. I have found mid to late morning that the birds are by water ie; streams, ponds etc. I set up in the hardwoods along streams during this time and have had real good success. I read that they not only seek the water here, but the bugs, grubs, and other insects are part of their desired diets....
That's also another Sub-question I have... Don't know if it's worth starting another tread for it... But what do they eat? Again... I see them picking moslty corn form fields... But apart from that... Are they more plants, leafs, insects? And in winter where there is no oak tree and snow (lots of it...) ?
So many questions i wish i could answer  :TooFunny:

Lone Star Eastern

I hunted a flock of ghost late last season in Kansas. Would find them every morning and evening for three days straight, but had no clue where they went through the day. I know that area like the back of my hand from quail hunting, and the areas they could have possibly went were limited from their roost. I think God took them into heaven for those up there to watch, and then would send them back down just to tease me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on January 16, 2024, 07:30:44 PM
I hunted a flock of ghost late last season in Kansas. Would find them every morning and evening for three days straight, but had no clue where they went through the day. I know that area like the back of my hand from quail hunting, and the areas they could have possibly went were limited from their roost. I think God took them into heaven for those up there to watch, and then would send them back down just to tease me.

It's crazy... I wish we could track them on gps...

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: YoungGobbler on January 16, 2024, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on January 16, 2024, 07:30:44 PM

It's crazy... I wish we could track them on gps...
At least once we've started the drive home, for educational purposes.