turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The beginning, the middle, or the end?

Started by Zobo, January 08, 2024, 10:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Do you think a notable call maker's work is more desirable at the beginning, middle or towords the end of his "career?" Is a famous maker's earlier work or later work more valuable? Also what makes a particular makers work desirable in general for you?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

packmule

In terms of financial value, I'm not sure....
I've bought multiple calls from several of my personal favorites over the years and the sound quality/ease of play just gets better and better and better the more calls they each build.  So from that perspective, I'd say the later work is more valuable to me.

Yoder409

Most makers' calls that are collectible will bring more $$ for the early ones and the very last couple they made.  Especially if they've just retired or passed away.  On down the road a few years, those early and last calls will still be at a premium.  But, unique combinations or limited runs they did will also pull to the top of the value chart.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

I agree packmule for the most part but I think there are exceptions for collectors. I'm not a collector but I have accumulated a lot of calls so for me now, I buy and keep meaningful calls, calls that represent or remind me of something or someone. I tend to buy more calls from callmakers I like and have had memorable conversations with.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 09, 2024, 11:16:20 AM
Most makers' calls that are collectible will bring more $$ for the early ones and the very last couple they made.  Especially if they've just retired or passed away.  On down the road a few years, those early and last calls will still be at a premium.  But, unique combinations or limited runs they did will also pull to the top of the value chart.

Sounds right to me Yoder. Had an opportunity to buy an earlier trumpet from a very popular/famous call maker, the gentleman selling said it was worth more than his later models...now fir a collector that may or may not be true, I'm not sure. But personally for me I declined, because I just didn't like it as much  as his middle/later stuff.

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 09, 2024, 11:27:18 AM

Sounds right to me Yoder. Had an opportunity to buy an earlier trumpet from a very popular/famous call maker, the guy selling said it was worth more than his later models...now fir a collector that may or may not be true, I'm not sure. But personally for me I declined, because I just didn't like it as much  as his middle/ later stuff.

No use to pay more than you're comfortable with.  Especially for a call you aren't head-over-heels for.......unless it's purely for investment. (BTW.......there's WAAAAY better investments to bank one's future on than turkey calls.   :TooFunny: )

The "early, middle, late" factor can and does impact the value of collectible calls.  But, bigger than that, is usually provenance.  Was the call owned and/or used by someone of note ??  Was the call featured in print ??  Is there something ELSE that sets the call apart from all the others ??  ANNND.......can documentation (photo, written or other) be presented to PROVE that ??

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

That's interesting info Yoder. Like I suppose a Farmer trumpet would probably be significantly less valuable without the signed paperwork he sent with the horn. I know serious collectors of anything always go crazy if "the original box" is included  :drool:
I always wondered if the box the call was mailed in adds any value and if I should have kept them.

davisd9

What about the very last call of a famous call maker?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ol bob

Most call makers are finding their way when they start, so unless you could prove a call was one of the first or something special, they should not be as valuable. To me it's more about how many were made, and what they are made from, not when they were made. Also, if a call was made for a famous person. Once a call maker has made a name for himself, the last call should me valuable, if it can be proven that it's the last call.

Zobo

Quote from: davisd9 on January 09, 2024, 01:07:10 PM

It's a good question, but I don't know how that could be substantiated. For example, I know I have one of the last, if not THE last Stowe call, but Lewis didn't number his calls.

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 09, 2024, 02:22:10 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on January 09, 2024, 01:07:10 PM

It's a good question, but I don't know how that could be substantiated. For example, I know I have one of the last, if not THE last Stowe call, but Lewis didn't number his calls.

Sometimes, it can be VERY WELL substantiated.   ;)

PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 09, 2024, 12:42:09 PM
  I know serious collectors of anything always go crazy if "the original box" is included  :drool:

I always wondered if the box the call was mailed in adds any value and if I should have kept them.

It DOES add value and , yes.........you shoulda kept them.   
PA elitist since 1979

Terry

Yoder, is that the fat lady singing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: ol bob on January 09, 2024, 02:20:25 PM
Most call makers are finding their way when they start, so unless you could prove a call was one of the first or something special, they should not be as valuable.

Early Turpins............ Lynch calls.......... Neil Cost calls.......... Lamar Williams calls......... others.

A lot of them can be pretty accurately dated by looking at them, or have the date written on them.  In each of the 4 examples above, the early calls are among the most desirable and valuable.
PA elitist since 1979

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979