OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ralph permar

Started by coryo, December 31, 2023, 08:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coryo

One you don't see every day. Just thought I would share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomtom97

Unique looking call right there! Im sure it plays great coming from Mr.Permar

GobbleGitr

Nice one! Permar's excellent Gokey interpretation; I got the last one he said he will make and feel fortunate, he made less than 30. Rick Powell is making a nice one now, used it to take a turkey last spring.

coryo

Got a pic of Rick's call?

Crowstalker

That's sharp. Nice to see a unique call from Ralph

GobbleGitr

Here is one I got in September

coryo

Very nice for sure!!

greentrout

That's the first I think I have seen and heard of a Gokey style. Any background information on that style?
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

GobbleGitr

The Gokey style call
is a story I hope to tell as part of an upcoming book. I know only a few of the originals; it's a neat design. They are collapsible (slider) shirt-pocket-sized trumpets made by a man named Herring. Gokey, a sporting goods company based in St. Paul, MN, sold them. Gokey referred to the call as the 'Herring Turkey Call' and sold them at least by the mid-1900s through their catalog; the last ad I saw for the call was in their Gokey 1976 catalog. Gokey was started in 1850 as a footwear company in New York but moved to MN after their factory burned. Gokey was bought out by Orvis around 1992 and has since been sold to Boyt Harness in Iowa, though the footwear factory is in Tipton, MO. I am attaching a photo of some original "Gokey calls" I wish I owned! If anyone has more information on Mr. Herring, the callmaker, please share or reach out.

EZ

Some cool history there!!!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greentrout

Thanks Brent! Very neat design and just another style I need to put on the list to add to my collection one day.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

1iagobblergetter

Nice one...I have one of them also...I believe mines made out of Chechen if i remember correctly...