OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shortening strikers

Started by Bingoman, December 29, 2023, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingoman

If I were to lop off an inch off the contact end of a wooden striker, then re-round it would the sound be different, assuming I brought the end back to what it was before? Alternatively, if. I took the same material off the other end, would it sound different? I'm trying to get some strikers in a pouch that's a little small for them to fit.

Yelper

It will change the balance and sound of a good striker. That has been my experience trying it

Greg Massey

Agree, I wouldn't alter strikers, especially those from top notch striker turners / makers .... balance / weighted / tuned strikers

Zobo

It will change the sound, cutting an inch off the back end could ruin the striker, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe a striker maker can chime in on this
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

outdoors

I think the biggest factor of the strikers is having some weight on the top
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Franklin7x57

Not being a smartazz but I would buy a different pouch

bbcoach

Quote from: Franklin7x57 on December 30, 2023, 06:49:56 AM
Glenda Green makes a striker wrap that will hold 10 plus strikers.  It is made with a flap at the top to cover long or short strikers.  Great Craftmanship.  Check out All of her items on her Facebook page.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: bbcoach on December 30, 2023, 07:35:17 PM
Glenda Green makes a striker wrap that will hold 10 plus strikers.  It is made with a flap at the top to cover long or short strikers.  Great Craftmanship.  Check out All of her items on her Facebook page.
+1 ....Glendas work is exceptional

Bingoman

I don't have FB, can you post a pic?

EZ

That's the right answer.
Don't alter a striker UNLESS you really know what you're doing. An inch is huge and will not only change how it runs, as someone said, it could very well ruin it.

Bingoman

Smart replies folks. Thanks

Spitten and drummen

Wanna ruin a striker just start taking off length.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

West Augusta

Be very careful shortening strikers.  I take off about 1/32" at a time.  Then run it on the calls that you use.
It's very easy to ruin a striker by shortening it.  I know.  I've ruined many.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Tarheel

There is a reason strikers are the length they are.  The harmonics of a striker are critical.  Diameter, length and weight ( and where you have your weight) are all factors. That doesn't mean you can't design and make strikers of different dimensions, because you can, but you have to figure out what works and what doesn't work.