turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I want one or two box calls….

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, December 19, 2023, 08:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I have the box calls of everyone mentioned on here and agree they are all excellent. But If you want a box call that will kill turkeys every time you pull it out and the absolutely best bang for your buck - Al Shoemaker is your choice. His boxes sound as good as anything you can buy elsewhere for an extra hundred dollars or more, and he generally gets that same sound consistently on every single box (unfortunately that is not true for all the BIG known builders). If you go with Mr. Al, you might as well get one of his scratch boxes while you are at it. You won't regret it if you do.

If you want a box or two to hang on to for an investment for later on - right now I would put my money on Albert Paul. His boxes are really good, and you can still get one for 150-160 or less on most wood selections. I would suggest the Walnut over cedar if you were just going to buy one. He is really high on that combo. And Mr. Albert and his wife are a joy to talk with when you order one. Some of the most real, pleasant and authentic folks you will ever encounter.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

3bailey3

X2, I agree with everything you said Mountain1... The Paul's are two of the nicest people you will ever meet!

Zobo

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 21, 2023, 10:59:03 AM
X2, I agree with everything you said Mountain1... The Paul's are two of the nicest people you will ever meet!

A big x3
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Beards and Hooks

All great suggestions above, I have calls from everyone that has been noted. The Paul's certainly are awesome folks, Mrs. Paul is a pleasure to deal with!

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

capecodmike

I know you said you were not interested in a long box.  But keep an open mind on that.  I like my LB on windy days.  It definitely gets the love out there.  Just something to think about.  Good luck with your choices.

Lcmacd 58

Every one of the suggestions are spot on. I have several of the ones mentioned. I bought 1 last year from a guy that had been mentioned on here. The call is not very expensive and will be in my vest this year.
Hoot Larsen .... and if you get his call .... buy his book, its a very good read.

The Lung

Surprised no one has mentioned Spring Creek. At their price point, I feel like they're one of the better deals out there for a short box. I'm not even all that great of a turkey caller and my Osage/Butternut short box makes me feel like a chanp. I fel like there's lots of different hens in there.
Good luck!
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Yoder409

Late to the conversation.  But, yeah...........  A lot of good makers listed above.  But, for your call-buying, turkey-killing dollar...........   The OG Forums' own Spring Creek and Ferocious Calls are top contenders.

Mike and Kip build KILLER stuff !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greentrout

I'm going to throw out Ernie Fetters. Super nice guy and a reminder I need to reach back out for another long box.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

bowbird87

I would def have a long box from Marlin

For short box
TJ Johnson
Jeff Mckamey
Scott Witter

gobblers roost

Ralph Snodgrass, get his mid-sized call ... Best of both worlds

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: gobblers roost on January 25, 2024, 09:11:58 AM
Ralph Snodgrass, get his mid-sized call ... Best of both worlds

:agreed: Mac ebony over reclaimed chestnut mini boat from the Snozz:

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Snozz is a classic example of "The man.....the myth.....the legend", for sure.    :icon_thumright:

Here's some stone-cold killas from Mike (Spring Creek) and Kip (Ferocious Calls)

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 25, 2024, 02:26:55 PM
Snozz is a classic example of "The man.....the myth.....the legend", for sure.    :icon_thumright:

Here's some stone-cold killas from Mike (Spring Creek) and Kip (Ferocious Calls)

Very cool! :you_rock:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14