turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I want one or two box calls….

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, December 19, 2023, 08:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I don't own a box call.  I have always gravitated to pot calls, diaphragm calls, and wingbones/cane yelpers/trumpets.  I'm thinking about getting one, maybe two box calls, not a long boxes either.  I'd like a combination of performance and aesthetics that doesn't break the bank.  Basically good quality and aesthetics at a middle of the road price point from a reputable custom call maker.  Can you give me some suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tarheel

IMHO, if I didn't own a box call, the first call maker I would call would be Albert Paul. Neil Cost was his mentor, and Albert is getting up in age and will not be making calls much longer.  His boxes are as good as it gets........

packmule

I don't disagree with Tarheel, great suggestion. But for sound and build quality, ease of play, availability, and cost you cannot beat SS calls. They have several short boxes on their site right now that are ready to go.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: packmule on December 19, 2023, 08:32:27 AM
I don't disagree with Tarheel, great suggestion. But for sound and build quality, ease of play, availability, and cost you cannot beat SS calls. They have several short boxes on their site right now that are ready to go.
Not sure how to find SS Calls.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

wchadw

There was a couple Watkins boxes for sale. They are excellent boxes and easy to run.

turkey stew

Quote from: packmule on December 19, 2023, 08:32:27 AM
X2 They build a mighty fine short box!

davisd9

Are you making it to Unicoi in January? If so, I highly suggest you swing by Mr. Wendell Lancaster's  and Mr. Darrin Dawkins'  tables. If not then Mr. Watkins, Mr. Paul, or Mr. Shoemaker is worth a call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

All terrific recommendations so far.

I would add Jeff McKamey / Twisting Creek to your list of possible builders. Jeff's calls are tuned perfectly and check all the boxes you posted.

http://twistingcreekcalls.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

gaswamp

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on December 19, 2023, 08:01:59 AM
I don't own a box call.  I have always gravitated to pot calls, diaphragm calls, and wingbones/cane yelpers/trumpets.  I'm thinking about getting one, maybe two box calls, not a long boxes either.  I'd like a combination of performance and aesthetics that doesn't break the bank.  Basically good quality and aesthetics at a middle of the road price point from a reputable custom call maker.  Can you give me some suggestions?

Bob Harwell or Steve Mann

Zobo

An SS box is worth the money all day long, probably one of the best values you can find. But all the other makers mentioned are great too, but more expensive. I think they're all worth the $. But if you are a little short on funds.. the Shoemakers, Jeff White and Scott Witter(although his work may cost more now) I got a Witter box a few years ago that was the single greatest value I've  ever come across, a stunning short box.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

outdoors

If you're on Facebook , there's a lot being posted on there
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Greg Massey

All the ones mentioned make great boxes... It all depends on what sound / tones your looking for ... each of the builders mentioned all have their own turkey sound in their head ... So again it depends on you and what your looking for in a old hen sound or a younger hen sound and what you like in the rollover of the call on the back-end ...    One that's not mentioned is David Halloran also makes a good box for the money like SS .... So don't overlook David ...  T J Johnson also is making the fiddle boxes and putting his own twist on his fiddle boxes...TJ apprentice under Marlin to keep building the fiddle boxes ... fiddle boxes will cost you a little more along with some of the other builders .... Lamar Williams and Mike Lapp are others to consider also, they build some awesome boxes ...

WV Ridge Reaper

Jeff white makes a great box call at a good price.

As mentioned Albert Paul is another top of the line maker..I feel like one day if you didnt own one of his boxes you will wish you did

Tarheel

Back in the 70s, I had friends criticizing me because I spent $35 buying a box call from Neil Cost. Later, I heard those same friends whining and complaining because they didn't buy a Cost box call when they had the chance for $35-$50.  I just laughed.  Today there still are a few call makers with direct ties to Neil Cost making Cost style box calls.....Lamar Williams, Steve Mann and Albert Paul.  Albert is the oldest of the 3 and most likely his days making turkey calls is the shortest. All of the 3 make fine Cost style box calls....as do a number of other call makers across the country. The close association with Neil Cost has value beyond the price of the turkey call.