turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do i even want a red dot

Started by rt2bowhunter, December 16, 2023, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

No offense, i like talking about patterns... I did a bunch of patterning and still have a lot to do  :toothy12: I always feel like the more you shoot, the more you realize how you don't shoot well and the opposite... ;)

Tom007

I have a Browning Cynergy Turkey Over-Under and have a Red Dot on it. Both barrels shoot extremely well, I use mostly 2 long range chokes when I hunt. I found 2 Chokes that give me a consistent POI with both barrels. I set up my bottom barrel with the Red Dot zeroed in on the Waddle. The pictures show the results I get at 35 yards, (my max comfort distance). Different chokes do make a difference in Over-unders regarding POI. Good luck whatever way you go......
"Solo hunter"

rt2bowhunter

Thanks

That's a good shooting over and under.

I made some more adjustments to the gun yesterday.

The red dot is going to be a lot simpler :).

rt2bowhunter

I thought I'd post an update. It's been a few days since I shot other than I shot once day before Christmas Eve. After that shot I made my last adjustments. I think I'm going to stop right here. Like I started out saying I want this gun to be a gun for all seasons not just a turkey gun. And I think I have it now.

I sighted it in using my eye as a rear sight and the bead as the front sight. I noticed it was shooting to the left and low after I installed the new fibre optic front bead. So I took the bead off and removed the screw stud and filed down the base to lower the bead height. This was two fold as I had to get the right height and still get it just right so when I tightened it down. I could rotate it past Center of the rib to move my poi right.
This is what I ended up with.

Pretty much a guess but a pretty good guess. As it turned out. Then I had to fix the low poi. This meant I had to pad the comb or raise my eye the back sight. The front sight didn't give me enough. After trying I think 3 different shims. I ended up with this.

This is also nice as it pads my cheek bone lol and feels more natural to me mounting the gun. It just comes up and I'm looking down the barrel so easy.

I set up a target with 2 dots this morning and shot a light modified at the top and skeet at the bottom. This will be my rabbit hunting chokes. But the way it's acting chokes won't affect poi vs poa. But those 2 are what I'll use.

I held just below each red dot represented by that small black dot. The top barrel gave me good coverage as did the bottom more open barrel did and they overlapped. If I had shot at the same dot both times. I think it would have shown pretty good regulation for these 2 field chokes.

Then I broke out the turkey chokes still using the CNC .565 and Apex 8.5 TSS. I shot at a traced gobbler target. I was holding right on the dot.
The red circle represents the hot core and that's about all there was to the pattern.

The rest of the pattern you see is from my reloads of no. 7 nickel platted 1 oz load it should be shooting 1200fps or a little better. I held at the same dot. And had a good wide pattern for close work in case the gobbler moved on me when I shot using a modified choke.

Well this wraps it up all yeah I shot out of my shop with the door open and could see the fibre optic glowing green but could see it. So a red dot won't be needed. Thanks for lending me your ear lol. I have 9 shot tss coming that should make this gun and choke all the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk