OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contact Cluck

Started by falconiii, December 15, 2023, 09:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: EZ on January 17, 2024, 04:57:26 PM
My advice would be quit worrying about the difference between a cluck and a putt. You become the turkey when you're calling. You are talking to other turkeys and communicating with them. Are you trying to alarm them or just saying here I am....where are you? Your calling will reflect what you're thinking. It's really as simple as that.

It really IS that simple.

You REALLY gotta screw up to cross the line between a cluck and an alarm putt.  BIG difference in inflection.  And the alarm putt has a repetition....... a cadence.

The longer I hunt them, the more I incorporate single clucks into my arsenal.   What was "cuttin & runnin" 20 or 30 or 40 years ago has become "cluckin & moseyin" these days.    And even Spanish-speaking gobblers........ ellos entienden.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

eggshell

There's one contact cluck I use a lot at close range. Here's the scenario: Big gobbler strutting at 25 yards, I make any noise I feel like and call it a cluck, as I cluck safety goes off, gobbler raises head, boom contact made, dead gobbler flopping on ground.

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: eggshell on January 23, 2024, 07:20:54 AM
There's one contact cluck I use a lot at close range. Here's the scenario: Big gobbler strutting at 25 yards, I make any noise I feel like and call it a cluck, as I cluck safety goes off, gobbler raises head, boom contact made, dead gobbler flopping on ground.
+ 1 ...... CONTACT CLUCK

bbcoach

Here ya go.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2az-03sKc&t=152s
This video is from Kenny Morgan that may answer your questions.  The Contact cluck / ID cluck starts at 2:08 of the video.  IMO a cluck as Mr. Morgan shows is a muffled sound used to show contentment and location when turkeys are feeding but I believe a Putt is a loud popping attention getting ALARM that most of us have heard when a single turkey or turkeys emit when they experience danger of some sort.  For me, soft and subtle means contentment, at ease but a loud excited POP means I'm out of here.  My 2 cents. 

falconiii

That's it. 2:08. Deep South. It's a single cluck. And not a series. To the point above, it doesn't have any panic or exigency to it. That's what I have heard so often.

Paulmyr

My experience with a contact cluck usually comes about 5 mins or so after cold calling aggressively. I'll be sitting around thinking about my next move and I'll hear a single cluck emminate from just out if sight. It's pretty audible! It's not what I would call a contented sound nor overly aggresive.

It's happened to me on a number of occasions and I have yet to see the perpetrators. Generally I call back but I'm beginning to rethink this tactic. Although the turkey maybe out of sight for me, I'm guessing he can see my location perfectly. The cluck is for verification of what he's not seeing, when I respond, my guess is I'm exposing myself and the turkey slinks off.

When I try to put clucking into context in terms of alarm or content it usually involves cadence more than anything when an excited call is involved.

When I hear a constant repetitious aggressive clucking with no variation  in cadence or pitch and tone I'm thinking alarm or warning.

If I'm hearing a broken cadence with variations in pitch and tone I'm thinking excited or aggravated,  Like one turkey messing with another or fussing over a snake.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

EZ

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 04, 2024, 10:29:35 AM
My experience with a contact cluck usually comes about 5 mins or so after cold calling aggressively. I'll be sitting around thinking about my next move and I'll hear a single cluck emminate from just out if sight. It's pretty audible! It's not what I would call a contented sound nor overly aggresive.

It's happened to me on a number of occasions and I have yet to see the perpetrators. Generally I call back but I'm beginning to rethink this tactic.

Yep, that's the frustrated gobbler giving the "where are you" or "show yourself" cluck. Course and quite audible. Best keep quiet and let him make the move....he's usually pretty close.

GregGwaltney

Quote from: EZ on March 04, 2024, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on March 04, 2024, 10:29:35 AM

It's happened to me on a number of occasions and I have yet to see the perpetrators. Generally I call back but I'm beginning to rethink this tactic.

Yep, that's the frustrated gobbler giving the "where are you" or "show yourself" cluck. Course and quite audible. Best keep quiet and let him make the move....he's usually pretty close.
I have had this happen a number of times, especially in thicker areas and from gobblers that made no sounds previously......I just sit tight and get ready as they usually are slinking through looking for mama.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet