turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Amateur attempt

Started by Bwhntr68, December 05, 2023, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwhntr68

Turned my first fall hen into a couple of new wingbones, one for me and one as a gift for my brother in law who invited me on the trip. A little rough but for my 3rd and 4th wingbones I'm happy with them. How do y'all manage to make your epoxy or clear coat so smooth? I brushed mine on then put it on a turner to even put but it still ended up pretty rough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurtaker

I think they look nice. Sound is most important I believe. If a call sounds like a turkey, it's a turkey call. Awesome!

Just wait. He's coming!

EZ

Cool.....great keepsake. Heck of a lot better than my first ones!!!

TrackeySauresRex

Nice work.. I'm in the same boat and looking for perfection on the smoothness. The do some beautiful work here on them bones.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Fillmoregandt

Did you wrap the green threading over the black (i.e. wrap the whole joint in black then go back over part with green thread) or did you wrap the colors individually (black>green>black)?

Muzzy61

You did a nice job. They look good.
  I did my first one two years ago and it was a little rough looking, but took a nice bird with it last year and couldn't have been prouder.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Bwhntr68

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on December 08, 2023, 01:59:26 PM
Did you wrap the green threading over the black (i.e. wrap the whole joint in black then go back over part with green thread) or did you wrap the colors individually (black>green>black)?
I did them individually, I looked up a couple videos on fishing rod wrapping and that's what most of them said to do

crow

Good Job, nice looking taper on your joints

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Bwhntr68 on December 05, 2023, 04:54:01 PM
Turned my first fall hen into a couple of new wingbones, one for me and one as a gift for my brother in law who invited me on the trip. A little rough but for my 3rd and 4th wingbones I'm happy with them. How do y'all manage to make your epoxy or clear coat so smooth? I brushed mine on then put it on a turner to even put but it still ended up pretty rough

Those calls look fine to me. I have a hunch that you kill some birds with those in the coming seasons.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Fillmoregandt

Quote from: Bwhntr68 on December 08, 2023, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: Fillmoregandt on December 08, 2023, 01:59:26 PM
I did them individually, I looked up a couple videos on fishing rod wrapping and that's what most of them said to do

Thanks!   Those look good, nice job

turkey stew

Bwhntr68

Got my hands on a specklebelly goose last week, decided to try and make something new out of it. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I'm pretty satisfied with it. Speck mouthpiece, 6.8 SPC casing, Mississippi River cane and hen exhaust piece. Doesn't have a lot of volume but she's a sweet talker. Excuse the amateur drawing, I had to give it a shot!

greentrout

I like that! Good combination of materials.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Heritage

Ranman