News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth calls

Started by Bowguy, December 03, 2023, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

Quote from: Bowguy on December 19, 2023, 10:03:29 AM
I was watching some of the Black Label guys you tube. He calls good but I wonder how his calls are? Hard to tell when someone can manipulate calls well. Anyone try them?

Black Label work best for me and I've tried alot. The Cootie Lewis is definitely my favorite. Its hands down the best mouth call I've ever used.

Bowguy

Quote from: Tom Dooley on January 12, 2024, 10:12:03 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on December 19, 2023, 10:03:29 AM
I was watching some of the Black Label guys you tube. He calls good but I wonder how his calls are? Hard to tell when someone can manipulate calls well. Anyone try them?

Black Label work best for me and I've tried alot. The Cootie Lewis is definitely my favorite. Its hands down the best mouth call I've ever used.

I picked a couple up and am liking them so far. We'll see in time but they are decent for sure

Sadler McGraw

I will be glad to build anyone any type mouth call they want.  Will talk with any of you about what you might want, need or should have made for you.

Message me here or send me a text
251 513 0217

Sadler McGraw
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

pinebark

Sadler x2

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

runngun

Sadler X3!!! I have been using his calls and they absolutely work!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bowguy

So I tried some recommendations. Havent tried Sadler's yet but a few of black label calls have suited me fine so far. The viscous v being my fav so far.  The kluk crying Karen I did not like even a little. Too tinny sounding with no break I could get out of it. Shouldn't have to try that hard but I worked with it. The death blow though I found real nice.

Bowguy

To be fair my bad. Can't believe it. I was grabbing calls and trying them. Put lcrying Karen in wrong side down ugh. It's actually not too bad. Still like death blow better.
So by the way, how it happened was typically the rib goes down. I grabbed it, saw the rib and placed it in. This call seems to have ribs on both sides. Is that normal?

bbcoach

The locking tab for each call always goes on the top where your palate is.  The cut reed and longest reed will always go on the top as well, at the roof of your mouth.  Kluk calls makes it easy to insert because they have the stretch and their logo KLUK on the side that goes against the roof of your mouth.  This helps me first thing in the morning (when I have low light) to see the logo and know this is up without having to feel for the locking tab. 

Bowguy

I know where the tab goes. I can feel it on both sides. I ran my thumb on it, thought I had it and popped it in. I noticed the logo thing right quick too but thanks for the input bbcoach.

GobbleNut

All this talk about mouth calls and consistency in call making and individual calls of the same design brings up a thought I have had for a while (thoughts are a rarity for me anymore... ;D).

I haven't bought mouth calls from anybody in quite a while since I started making my own, but back when I did, I bought quite a few from just about all the commercial guys making them at that time.  Personally, I never found a call maker that I could consistently get the same sound out of any duplicate call I got from them.  There was almost always some variation in the sound, even with the supposed exact same call design.  ...Not trying to be critical here,...that was just a fact of life back then.

So, here's my question to all you mouth call users out there that have been buying calls recently from any or all of the commercial makers mentioned in our various conversations.  How many of you have found a supplier that makes calls that you get the exact same sound out of any duplicated call you might get from them? 

I'm just curious based on my past history of buying calls and rarely finding two that sounded exactly alike.    :icon_thumright:

Bowguy

Gobblenut I myself am just getting back into it due to my issues. I'm at square one again w companies. . I do know that some companies were more consistant than others. None were spot on imo back 7/8 years ago. But you pose a great question as always

runngun

Over the past 45 years I have used a lot of different mouth calls. The best I have ever used come from Sadler McGraw. His calls are very consistent. He will go out of his way to make sure that you get what you want.
His Judge and Jury is great.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.