OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth calls

Started by Bowguy, December 03, 2023, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I've been out of the loop a bit. Haven't bought a mouth call in 6-7 years. Medical issue made their use real hard. I've overcome it and looking fwd to using them again. Last company I was using regular is aggravating me. Who would ya all recommend for clear calls, some a little raspier, and jake yelps. Which ones?
No Woodhaven please guys

Yoder409

Been using Gooserbat calls for quite a few years now.  LOVE 'EM !!!!  Quality control and call-to-call consistency is top notch.  I run some dog-arse raspy ones.  But, I'm sure if you gave Sam a ring, he could point you in the right direction for his clearer calls.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bbcoach

I'm a center airflow guy and in the last couple years I have switched over to ghost cut or modified ghost cut calls exclusively.  They give me the most versatility and I can replicate most of the sounds a turkey makes with this one cut.  With that being said, there are many fine call makers that make quality ghost cut calls and many support this site.  My go to right now is the Crying Karen, in low stretch, by Kluk Custom Calls.  This call is very easy to blow and makes most of the turkey's vocabulary with ease.  I'm sure you will get plenty of advice but give them a look.

Bowguy

Tomtom97

Sadler McGraw all the way. Great guy and will get you exactly what you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longbow2240

I've been using Coves (Pinhoti) gray ghost and his combo cut the last couple of years. Easy to run with little air pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bowguy

RLAG

I'm a big fan of the hooks swindler. Tried a lot of calls before I found that out

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Hooks is the company aggravating me. Been about 2 months and they still can't get a simple order put through with full size tape. I'll not be using them anymore. Not sure what it is with turkey call manufacturers. Be it custom or basically production. Really bad customer service, blowing guys off, making promises they don't keep, ignoring folks. Makes you appreciate companies that are normal.

crow

I hunt with a Denny Gulvas masters choice and a Saddler McGraw ghost cut.
both great sounding calls and can be played clean or raspy

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: crow on December 08, 2023, 08:08:28 AM
I hunt with a Denny Gulvas masters choice and a Saddler McGraw ghost cut.
both great sounding calls and can be played clean or raspy
Both winners in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Bowguy

I was watching some of the Black Label guys you tube. He calls good but I wonder how his calls are? Hard to tell when someone can manipulate calls well. Anyone try them?

PALongspur

Quote from: Bowguy on December 08, 2023, 02:32:12 AM
Hooks is the company aggravating me. Been about 2 months and they still can't get a simple order put through with full size tape. I'll not be using them anymore. Not sure what it is with turkey call manufacturers. Be it custom or basically production. Really bad customer service, blowing guys off, making promises they don't keep, ignoring folks. Makes you appreciate companies that are normal.

Keep in mind Scott passed away last spring.

bbcoach

I'm sorry, things have taken a downturn with Hook's calls and customer service.  With Scott's death, on the 2nd of March, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.  Scott, as most of us know, was a Great man, Turkey hunter and Service Provider.  When you placed an order, Scott was the one that answered the phone, took your order and ALWAYS had a story or 2 or 3, always talking turkey.  It is my Hope and Prayer that this is only an isolated incident.  Hooks has been a Quality company for years and I personally hope that continues!

Bowguy

Quote from: bbcoach on December 21, 2023, 08:26:16 AM
I'm sorry, things have taken a downturn with Hook's calls and customer service.  With Scott's death, on the 2nd of March, I was hoping this wouldn't happen.  Scott, as most of us know, was a Great man, Turkey hunter and Service Provider.  When you placed an order, Scott was the one that answered the phone, took your order and ALWAYS had a story or 2 or 3, always talking turkey.  It is my Hope and Prayer that this is only an isolated incident.  Hooks has been a Quality company for years and I personally hope that continues!

Agree BB, I'm trying to give them leeway given the circumstances but it's just not the same company