Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If only one call, who’s the maker, what type call, what woods/or material?

Started by TJ3152, October 02, 2023, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limb_hanger

Shannon Kelley Macassar Push Pin - death to turkeys

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

Mouthcall: Denny Gulvas.
Long box: Billy Bush
Short box: Mike Lapp or Marlin Watkins
Scratch box: Mississippi
Delta, Alaskan yellow cedar
Trumpet: Frank Hegler
Wingbones: Tony Ezolt

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Sir-diealot

Anything from Marlin Watkins, if a windy day the long box, pics of Alaskan yellow fever and serviceberry if I recall correctly. If not Monday then the Watkins short box I have two of them I think I'm partial to the persimmon/maccasscar*

My Grizz Frictionwood goes almost every hunt, I really like that call though the Watkins Coaxer I picked up may replace it after I learn it better.

Pots would be something that I have made from kits, my tulipwood from Old Crow with glass over crystal or crystal over glass, I can never remember that one right.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

limb_hanger

Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 09, 2023, 07:05:46 AM
Anything from Marlin Watkins, if a windy day the long box, pics of Alaskan yellow fever and serviceberry if I recall correctly. If not Monday then the Watkins short box I have two of them I think I'm partial to the persimmon/maccasscar*

My Grizz Frictionwood goes almost every hunt, I really like that call though the Watkins Coaxer I picked up may replace it after I learn it better.

Pots would be something that I have made from kits, my tulipwood from Old Crow with glass over crystal or crystal over glass, I can never remember that one right.

Big fan of the grizz friction wood myself...I have several soft talker calls but this one seems to elicit the most responses in the early morning hours and I can run it with minimal movement

eggshell

Many days all i ever use is a mouth call, the same one all day. Many good makers out there so not picky. A ghost cut would be my first choice. On almost any hunt I will have 2-3 mouth calls and maybe a slate. Most days it's just 2 mouth calls, period. I just go with the simplest things that work. I hunt light and simple. Camo clothing, a vest, shotgun, 5 -6 shells and a couple mouth calls. That's it. I haven't failed to fill my home state tags in 25+ years and usually at least a couple OOS tags. Go with what makes you happy, but I'm a simple guy.

eggshell

Happy

Woodhaven ghost cut or Sadler Mcgraw ghost cut.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: limb_hanger on October 09, 2023, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 09, 2023, 07:05:46 AM

Big fan of the grizz friction wood myself...I have several soft talker calls but this one seems to elicit the most responses in the early morning hours and I can run it with minimal movement

It helped me take my first and only turkey, it does seem to get them to turn their heads quite often, I just need to become a better caller.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

msm210

Tomtom97

I'd have to go with a Sadler ghost cut or Townsend Osage glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I'm probably going Ralph Permar delrin classic but I'd sure hate not to have a pot.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bowguy

You're asking a loaded question.  Imagine you asked what's the one lure you'd use all year or even all week for bass? You'd prob not have the best tool all the time No call works always and  certainly not best. Even the composition changes things but I'll offer a consideration
A longbox might be a good choice for one call. It can do about everything, from all hen sounds, kee kee plus gobble, loud to softening it down some by holding soundboards. Impervious to rain if put in a bread bag. No one call imo can match it

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Bowguy on December 13, 2023, 04:35:33 AM
You're asking a loaded question.  Imagine you asked what's the one lure you'd use all year or even all week for bass? You'd prob not have the best tool all the time No call works always and  certainly not best. Even the composition changes things but I'll offer a consideration
A longbox might be a good choice for one call. It can do about everything, from all hen sounds, kee kee plus gobble, loud to softening it down some by holding soundboards. Impervious to rain if put in a bread bag. No one call imo can match it
Definitely a Berkley power worm. Green pumpkin.

3bailey3