News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite trumpet

Started by Alabama556, August 11, 2023, 07:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfowler82

Alabama556

Besides appearance, does a buffalo mouthpiece vs a camel bone mouthpiece make a difference?

sbbow

I don't have any camel bone but I would take buffalo over Delrin any day. Some say you better a better sound out of Buffalo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Alabama556 on August 12, 2023, 08:18:18 AM
Besides appearance, does a buffalo mouthpiece vs a camel bone mouthpiece make a difference?
I've heard different things about mouthpiece materials.  What I've heard is that certain woods do better with certain mouthpiece materials. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

Honestly i have all three , Camel bone, Buffalo and Delrin and i would find it hard to play the difference in any of them... In my opinion the mouthpiece end and internals make the biggest differences along with the builder of the trumpet... IMO

davisd9

Love buffalo horn but not a fan or camel bone, but I am sensitive to textures.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

To the OP, Bott and Permar. Then Sharpe and Ezolt for the Jordan style.

To the point of mouthpiece material, strong preference is amber.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

wchadw

Mouthpiece does make a difference. But probably not much difference between buffalo and camel bone if they were same shape and diameter. If it was delrin and buffalo horn same shape and size there would be a slight difference in sound

Shape and hole size would make a difference in mouthpieces of same material

wchadw

Buice hornstra kp cox prudhomme permar
And Watkins makes a great trumpet and doesn't get much love. These calls are hard to come

Current makers taking orders that make good calls are Hamon and age and others like Slanton and Lester

Wingbone and cane calls EZ and mark sharpe make excellent calls

Will

Permar model 45, Greg Gwaltney and a Marlin Watkins adjustable with hen bone mouthpiece

sbbow

There are to many GREAT trumpet makers out there to have a favorite imo.

Yoder409

Far, far, FAAAAAAAAAR from an authority on suction calls.  But names I have not seen listed yet that (in my unwashed opinion) make calls that run.........

Irving Whitt - Trumpet
Mike Robare - Trumpet
Tony Quarino - Jordan
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Spitten and drummen

Prudhomme, KP , AGE and Seth Harmon. Those are my personal favorites. That being said , your list may be different. It comes down to the ones that draw easiest and smoothest for you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bedge7767

Jim

chbarnha

I pick up Townsend trumpets whenever I get the chance. They are players. I also recently picked up one from Val Espinoza that plays easy.

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak