OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any tips for running a Hudson hen box

Started by Alabama556, July 20, 2023, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama556

Just got a Hen-box from my Hudson. Do you have any tips on learning how to run it?

USMC0331

Google how to use a Turpin style box call. There are a few videos on how to use this call.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

USMC0331

What wood combo did you get?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Alabama556

Rosewood over teak. Damn thing is about to drive me crazy

tal

:TooFunny: They did me too. Watching Hudson, Fulkerson, Morgan, run one is worth more than words can get across. Hudson's personal hen box has 7 to 9 hens on one rail and he can find every one of them. I've seen him stop a room twice, at the NWTF and at Unicoi. I just don't have the knack.

Greg Massey

Just remember in playing a hen box you finesse it and a short box you run it ... In a hen box it's all about manipulating the lid to the rails with your fingers and angles. It's a learning curve, just practice, practice,  practice ... Hen box has one of the most natural hen yelps with lot's of hens in the box ...

3bailey3

The teak has a lot of oil in it, needs to be chalked up and some lite scotch bite to the paddle and you run it more of a down ward angle than side to side.

Greg Massey

I will also will add that i like the old school red brick chalk for my hen boxes ... So if you can find some old red brick chalk try it on your hen boxes ....

Alabama556

Y'all are spot on. I can make it yelp if I tilt the lid down. It sounds like it would call up a turkey but is missing the strong back end.

Where I run into trouble is when I try to roll the lid up. I can do it if I go slow but really can't get the right cadence.

About the time I get close it starts to squeak so I have to re chalk it.

This call eats chalk. I have gone through 1/2 the stick that came with the call.

It likes the brown primos chalk better than anything else. It does not like rain chalk or other white chalk at all.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Alabama556 on July 23, 2023, 10:08:58 AM
Y'all are spot on. I can make it yelp if I tilt the lid down. It sounds like it would call up a turkey but is missing the strong back end.

Where I run into trouble is when I try to roll the lid up. I can do it if I go slow but really can't get the right cadence.

This call eats chalk. I have gone through 1/2 the stick that came with the call.

It likes the brown primos chalk better than anything else. It does not like rain chalk or other white chalk at all.
The more powder base the chalk is the better it will play... Get you some of that red Primos chalk that has those small pieces in a plastic container ... If you don't have any of the old red brick chalk....

Alabama556

Ordered some Friday. Thank you.

quote author=Greg Massey link=topic=115058.msg1152544#msg1152544 date=1690122852]
Quote from: Alabama556 on July 23, 2023, 10:08:58 AM

The more powder base the chalk is the better it will play... Get you some of that red Primos chalk that has those small pieces in a plastic container ... If you don't have any of the old red brick chalk....
[/quote]

Greg Massey

Sounds like your on your way in learning to play.. Just keep practicing and over time you will get the hang of it .... 3 / 4 notes on a hen box can be deadly in the turkey woods... AS you practice you will get the feel of how that hen box wants to be played.

Alabama556

After a quick call with Richard he got me on the right track (along with everyone's help on here).

I sure appreciate you guys. The key was calling from 50 yards away from my phone in the woods. The scratching and squeezing goes away. I got it sounding huntable  now.

Thanks again.

Hillbilly yelper

I once watched a guy run a hen box. When he ran it , he ran the body. So instead of running the paddle he held the paddle against the side wall and moved the body of the call. The darnest thing I ever did see.
Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us