turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by Tnandy, June 26, 2023, 02:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tnandy

Quick question folks, on running glass, crystal, or aluminum, what striker and wood would you recommend? Maybe what some of you have used as good combos. I am very settled on the strikers that I run my ceramic and slate with, but I still aint completely satisfied with these others. I seem to struggle a little also with the flared tip style. I am sure that is on my part lol

Seminole Custom Calls

Quote from: Tnandy on June 26, 2023, 02:48:28 PM
Quick question folks, on running glass, crystal, or aluminum, what striker and wood would you recommend? Maybe what some of you have used as good combos. I am very settled on the strikers that I run my ceramic and slate with, but I still aint completely satisfied with these others. I seem to struggle a little also with the flared tip style. I am sure that is on my part lol
Glass and crystal I like tulipwood,snakewood or dymondwood. I don't run Aluminum much but when I do I usually run it with dymondwood

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

mastevt

Alot of Hardwoods run well on the glass/Chrystal, and Aluminum.   The harder the wood, the crisper sound you'll get.  Even laminates such as Dymalux, Frogwood, and Webwood run well on them.

Wigsplitter

Dymondwood or Mac ebony will be good!!

mmclain

Black locust is excellent.

Sir-diealot

Glass, crystal I am a fan of tulipwood, Dymondwood, Kingwood, cocobolo, Amazonian Rosewood or Mac ebony. Frogwood would be another. I think I had luck with bloodwood on aluminum, could have been titanium though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tnandy

Thx for the advice. So sounds like a man needs to stay away from softer woods. Thx

Tnandy

Quote from: mastevt on June 26, 2023, 08:50:19 PM
Alot of Hardwoods run well on the glass/Chrystal, and Aluminum.   The harder the wood, the crisper sound you'll get.  Even laminates such as Dymalux, Frogwood, and Webwood run well on them.
Appreciate the intel!!

silvestris

Quote from: Tnandy on June 28, 2023, 01:48:47 PM
Quote from: mastevt on June 26, 2023, 08:50:19 PM
The harder the wood, the crisper sound you'll get.
Appreciate the intel!!

And the more likely that you will get an unintentional skip.

I bought a AMCalls adjustable striker and it is about the only thing I use anymore.  the dowel will adjust for length and you can buy an assortment of wooden dowels to determine exactly what type of wood you like and how much dowel you need to expose to get the sound you are looking for.  Works well for me and I am all about sound.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tnandy

THX! Always appreciate different ideas for sure. I don't want to get stuck in a rut

Greg Massey

Strikers are like choosing what kind of wood you want in a pot call or box call, it all depends on the sound/ tone your looking for in a striker on the surface your playing ... Snakewood, Diamondwood, Webbwood, Frogwood, Purpleheart and the list goes on, you can't go wrong with having a variety of strikers ...

JLH

Just throwing this out there....

If you are not happy with the consistency of the usual "favorites"... consider a softer wood. Something below 2,000 on the janka hardness scale such as, Locust, Canary, yellowheart, black and white ebony, hickory, pecan....just to name a few.

Tnandy

Thx again for any advice fellas. Always appreciated

243kid

IMO: A piece of hickory is hard to beat. Purple Heart is also a good choice.

Tnandy

Thx!
Quote from: 243kid on August 14, 2023, 02:27:48 PM
IMO: A piece of hickory is hard to beat. Purple Heart is also a good choice.