Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are you doing today for next season.

Started by Gooserbat, June 10, 2023, 11:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

@Goblen, what do you have mixed in with the corn in that 1st pic?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

roberthyman14

Quote from: Old Timer on June 10, 2023, 04:02:44 PM
Currently studying for my trapper certification. Although years back I did a fair amount on the farm a course is required now. Nest raiders are on my radar.
I took an online cert. 2 years ago.  Kinda tough, especially since I've never trapped. Florida regulations are terrible

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

crow

I've cut back from 4 daily pancakes 5 times a week to 3 pancakes 4 times a week.

Also going to make a serious effort to fix the truck passenger side window to roll down faster, that cost me a really nice one this season.

Goblen

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 12, 2023, 06:09:00 PM
@Goblen, what do you have mixed in with the corn in that 1st pic?

Those are weeds sprayed a week before. Round up ready corn.

squidd

Yoder409

Today ???   It's windy and wet.  I may DRINK some Wild Turkey today.........    :toothy9:

In general......for next season I am going to ramp up the holy war I declared on nest predators LAST year.  Getting a few trail cam pics of raccoons, coyotes, skunks and possums that I neglected to eliminate last year.  I'll be buying a BUNCH more DP's for this year.

I've also refrained from mowing grass fields due to nesting hens liking to put nests in them.  Easier on the fawns, too.

May get at and do some hinge cutting if time permits.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cut N Run

Stepped in a stump hole covered by leaves the week after the season and wrenched my knee, bad.  It's slowly improving, but soft tissue takes a whie to heal.  Been unable to do my daily walks for over a month and I haven't been in the woods or working at the farm at all. I missed the first cutting of hay & they missed having me at the barn to load & stack.

I got rights to hunt a new piece of woods a few days before the end of the season and didn't get to hunt it until the last day.  I'll scout it thoroughly once I can get around better.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Paulmyr

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 19, 2023, 09:45:10 PM
Been working on these for next season.
What do you do for the hardware? I'd like to tinker around and make a couple this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on June 19, 2023, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on June 19, 2023, 09:45:10 PM
Been working on these for next season.
What do you do for the hardware? I'd like to tinker around and make a couple this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered a 100 pack of springs online. Do a Google search for box call springs an you'll find a number of suppliers. The screws are brass wood screws from the local big chain hardware store.

Sir-diealot

Going to see if I can remove the surface from two of the calls I made this year, I made a mistake with both, one I put the carbon fiber soundboard in the wrong way and the other I feel the green anodize aluminum fits to tightly and I realized I have another piece so I want to try that. Just have to figure the best way to remove the parts, the carbon fiber one is in such a beautiful piece of walnut that I don't want to mess it up but want it to look right too. It sounds fine but knowing it is not right messes with that tiny little excuse for a brain that I have. Also the surgery I mentioned above is scheduled for Sept. 1 it should help me walk with much less pain, in theory but this will be the second time the toes are getting "Fixed" so I am not convinced until the proof is in the pudding.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TauntoHawk

Habitat work and predator control are year round work

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

I ordered a couple of original Ol Tom Vestless shirts this week.  The heat index has been 112 degrees all week and it's just too hard to keep my shop cool enough to want to build any calls right now.  I've been staying in the A/C a lot.  :)
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hawkeye1958

I got a late start this season but have over 30 nest predators down.

Chris

dirtnap