News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Interesting article from Alabama

Started by topnotch, July 01, 2023, 10:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Simply stated formula for wild turkey management:  IHN+IH+DTP=EBP
Increasing Hunter Numbers + Increasing Harvest + Declining Turkey Population = Eventual Big Problem

J-Shaped

Quoted from the article:

Meanwhile, Mitchell thinks social media does have one upside for Alabama's Eastern wild turkey.

"Social media has drawn more people into turkey hunting," Mitchell said. "I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I think a lot of it has called attention to the plight of turkeys and the perceived turkey decline. I think or hope people have gained education through social media more than anything."

So in the sections above this quote, the article references how advancements in technology and techniques are making hunters more effective at killing turkeys (no argument there - been saying this for years). Yet they go on to say social media is an upside? And people are gaining education via social media?

Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud. I'd wager that most new hunters who come to turkey hunting via social media influence 1)Are doing it because they think it's "cool", 2) aren't joining the sport because they want to be advocates for the plight of turkeys as referenced in the article, and 3) sure as heck aren't being educated on more traditional tactics for hunting turkeys via what they see on social media. A quick search of any social media site is flooded with clowns doing all sorts of shenanigans to kill turkeys, and if that's their basis for joining the sport, well, we're only adding potential turkey killers, not advocates for the bird, to our ranks.

guesswho

He is spot on with several comments, and off on a couple (IMO).   The harvest numbers is still a guess at best.   Increase in harvests reported doesn't coincide with the populations increase/decrease.   I talk to numerous non turkey hunters often, and they all say the same thing, which is there aren't near the turkeys as there used to be.  I put more faith in peoples hands on observations than I do a phone in tag system. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

FL-Boss

We continue to evolve with better tech each year and the turkeys don't. That's an issue... when does it end?  State agencies should "even the playing field" a little more. Make it a little more of a challenge for us. Ban cell cameras during the season, ban decoys for the first half of the season, and ban any shell with greater than 1.75oz payload. Just a few ideas off the top of my head...
Or course other things on the management side need to be done, like no hens ever. And does any state really need more than a 2 bird limit right now?

joey46

There is a more detailed info on this on the new Florida forum that replaced the now defunct Fl Sportsman forum. It is floridaoutdoorforums.com I'm not good at the cut and paste and won't try. To summarize an official for Alabama wildlife (Mr. Sykes) felt many of today's hunters were too reliant on gimics, many cheated and many more didn't respect the game. He made a few good points but did an awful lot of whining.  He seemed to have little respect for his state's current crop of hunters. I read it once and thought "hmm".  Read it twice and thought this guy needs to retire. If another AL official is spewing the same AL may have an agenda.  Alabamans may prepare for a lot of banning. We certainly are turning into a banning bunch.

hawkeye1958

Quote from: FL-Boss on July 02, 2023, 04:35:46 PM

Or course other things on the management side need to be done, like no hens ever. And does any state really need more than a 2 bird limit right now?

I agree

joey46

If you go with the "no hens ever" theory then eliminate the fall seasons. Dumbest thing I've ever seen in the FL regs is a fall season on private land that allows two birds. They both must be bearded. One fall bird total of either sex would be more reasonable IMO.  Fall seasons most places may have seen their day but I'm remembering a few guys from the old NWTF forum that did nothing but fall hunting using dogs to scatter and call back.  It was a system that went back long before spring seasons.  To each his own.     
Some of these threads are turning into a "let's just do something" mode.  Remember it is much harder to reverse a dumb knee jerk regulation than to enact one.  I'm sensing Alabamans may be about to find this out.

BTW "Fl-Boss I'm puzzled over the ban any shell over 1.75 payload comment.  Why?  With the new TSS loads 1.75 is more than adequate even at the extreme ranges some YouTubers claim to shoot.  I'm one who thinks it is better to just shoot the best load available.  The big birds deserve a clean kill more than an arbitrary number.  My current loads are 7/8oz in .410, 2 1/4oz in the 12 both Apex Ninja TSS, and if using the TK2000 muzzleloader that shoots a heavy kicking 2 1/2oz lead load.  I may be a little weird but I switch the guns out depending on what feels lucky that day and how far the walk in will be.  I have confidence in all of them.