OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on 2023 season

Started by jhoward11, June 07, 2023, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

Now that the season is over, what are your thoughts on this years season? I think mine would be. I'm 2 for 3 and got shut out in my own back yard. But you know what? I learned a lot, and enjoyed a lot.  I know Tom will be waiting for a re-match next spring. This sequel will be better!

g8rvet

Had a great season!  Got to hunt with family and friends - camped about an hour from the house and left the RV, so I could run over and spend the night before hunting. I killed 4.   Mice that is!  LOL  We ran a trap line and set it each week.

As far as birds, lots of fun and lots of frustration.  Finally called in a bird for my son in law (only his third bird ever).  he had killed one the prior week on his family place, but when this one came in I let him shoot. 

Got my only bird a week later.  I could have tagged out but helping him kill one was a goal and I am happy it went down that way. Followed a gobbler all day on the last Saturday, but just could not close the deal.  It was tiring, fun, frustrating, exciting.  All in all, great season. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

I enjoyed the hunting cabin and just relaxed and hunted ...Seen some pretty sunrises .... Loved using the trumpets for the first time this season....

deathfoot

While I wasn't overly successful in my travels...I had a blast. Saw some absolutely breathtaking areas. Heard tons of birds. Met some amazing people. It was a great 2023 season. Come on 2024.

Tom007

Very tough, enduring, but successful season. One of my favorites. Where I thought I would be successful, I wasn't, where I didn't think I would be, I was. Weather was cool, but not super wet. A bit windier than usual, but all in all, I am thankful that I enjoyed doing battle with my feathered friends. Amen!
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I wasn't very prepared, worked more than I wanted, and hunted less. I was working via cellphone a lot of the time I was hunting. Still managed to have a great year as far as memories and having fun goes. I personally didn't pull the trigger as much as usual, but I got my main goals accomplished. And somehow, every turkey kill that I was involved in was with one of my guns and my ammo. . I gotta rethink my guiding policy now.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

My season was Fantastic!  I filled 1 of 2 tags and could have filled the second with opportunities of several jakes and a long shot on a gobbler but held off.  My season was complete when I had the privilege of calling in the first bird for an 81-year-old young man on April 21st.  Wonderful year!  With the number of jakes that we saw this spring, next year should be Great.

Tail Feathers

I would have had three more birds had I not made silly mistakes.  Mostly moving when I know I shouldn't.  Sigh.

It was a good season nonetheless, but could have resulted in more birds in the truck if I'd not made dumb mistakes.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sasquatch1

One of my best years ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lunghit

I was fortunate enough to tag out and got my first bow bird. Hate that it's over but knowing that deer season is creeping up slowly makes me happy.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Kylongspur88

Great season for me. Filled my tags and most of my buddy's got birds as well. There were lots of 2 year olds this year and the weather was good through most of the season so that made for a near record year in KY. I would say as far as numbers the areas I hunt that have been seeing a decrease in population were the same or maybe slightly better this year and the areas that have been good remained good with strong numbers of birds. I didn't see a lot of jakes this year but that doesn't mean they weren't around. The true test for me is what I see in the fall seasons . That's when I'll get a better idea of what we're going to be working with for the following spring. Overall I'm just blessed to have gotten to chase turkeys again.

Brinkcalls

Slow start to it. Lots of snow and cold weather kinda hindered it for me. Did kill a gobbler in the snow with my bow so that was a first for me. Got the in laws on birds too and killed a few studs.
Got my own farm now and am currently putting food plots for the deer with the hopes the turkeys start using them next year!

3bailey3

Marc

I knew I was not going to hunt as much as normal, so was surprised to tag out quickly.

I had an unusually good season.  Less birds than average, but every bird I ran into came into range.  Could not hunt early due to family obligations, but had very good experiences in the field this season!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Yoder409

GREAT season.........albeit, too short.

Passed a thin 9"-ish beard bird the first day.
Killed a good 4 year bird on the 4th day
Doubled on 3 year birds the 6th day with my cousin
Called in a young man's first bird ever a couple days later.

Wanted to hit a couple other states this spring.  But the runaround my union was/is giving me as I try to retire prevented me from going anywhere.  With some luck..... I should be FINALLY retired in 7 or 8 days.  So, NEXT year.............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.