Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Merriam’s taken with Shannon Kelly push-pin!

Started by merriamsman, May 23, 2023, 12:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merriamsman

This beautiful Merriam's was taken with a Shannon Kelly push-pin in Macassar ebony using only clucks. These birds were getting pretty call shy to yelps so I used only clucks to call him in. Shannon's push-pins produce the most realistic clucks of any call I have used. Thanks Shannon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

worth612000

How much does it weigh? Looks plump in photo. Congrats

merriamsman

Not that heavy - only 17.5 lbs. Birds are worn down this late in the season from all the fighting and breeding. Pretty typical weight for a two- year old Merriam's at this point in the season.

JeffC

Congrats on "clucking 1 up" , beautiful Tom.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ManfromGreenSwamp

It works! Nicely done in the change of tactics, beautiful bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

capecodmike

Good Looking.  I'd love a Merriam's fan for the wall.  Guess I'd have to make a road trip though.  Congrats..

Old Gobbler

I've been telling folks about it for a awhile , it's almost cliche '

I killed/called up  4 nice gobblers  this year before I heard a actual real hen actually yelp , and I mean I hadn't heard a real yelp several weeks into the season ... every area is different so you may be way different

Sit back and count how many times you hear a hen yelping , in the places I hunt your lucky if you hear a hen yelp even once

Yelping is a hunters favorite call , but is it a hens ? I suspect pressured gobblers pick up on all the yelping and it may be a "tell" that something is fishey

I can yelp with the best of em , but I'm very reluctant to do so especially on pressured birds

CONGRATS  :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Lcmacd 58

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, Merriam's and Gould's are two I would very much like to get, love the colors on the tail feathers and the areas you hunt them in are something I have never seen in person. Great call as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Poppahunts

Turkeys For Tomorrow Member
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
Life is hard, twice as hard if your stupid
               - John Wayne

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

caneman

DFelico

limb_hanger

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 23, 2023, 01:04:58 PM
I've been telling folks about it for a awhile , it's almost cliche '

I killed/called up  4 nice gobblers  this year before I heard a actual real hen actually yelp , and I mean I hadn't heard a real yelp several weeks into the season ... every area is different so you may be way different

Sit back and count how many times you hear a hen yelping , in the places I hunt your lucky if you hear a hen yelp even once

Yelping is a hunters favorite call , but is it a hens ? I suspect pressured gobblers pick up on all the yelping and it may be a "tell" that something is fishey

I can yelp with the best of em , but I'm very reluctant to do so especially on pressured birds

CONGRATS  :icon_thumright:
This is so true at least for my area. The bird I harvested in Ohio was accompanied with a hen and only because I was within 40 yards was I able to hear her yelp and it was only once. Most of the birds where I hunt will talk a little on the roost then once they hit the ground it's silent but I am sure they are talking all day long just under the breath stuff you can't hear unless you are super close to them

You can always tell when a hunter is calling in the woods ...super loud flat rhythm and usually almost always helping

Main point is - if you call and they answer they know where you are. They are either interested and will come to investigate or else have hens and just courtesy gobble

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Haggstromjohnd

Nice bird great call wonderful tips all thank you!