OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bee Sting Remedy

Started by barry, July 02, 2011, 03:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I just read gobbler74's post about his run in with the yellowjackets. My brother was rolling some hay yesterday and had to get off the tractor to to unclog the roller. Well he just happened to be in the middle of a jackets nest. He got stung about 6 times and normally it don't bother him. One stung him right in the knuckle joint on his finger and his whole hand swelled up and throbbed. He took benadryl, put ice on it but neither helped the pain.
I went online for some home remedies and found that baking soda mixed with water would help the pain as would vinegar. My Brother combined the 2 and mixed the baking soda with vinegar to make a paste and put that on..in just minutes he said the pain was going away.
Toothpaste was also reccomended.
Just thought I would share.

longspur

If you can't get to any of that stuff, tobacco works fine. just chew it a little to get it wet and hold it on the sting. cigaretts make a pretty nasty chew but they will work. I don't smoke or chew but I'll chew one up in a heartbeat if I get stung.

barry

My Dad would put tobacco on my stings when I was a kid.

Hognutz

Tooth paste works. I have used it before and it eases the pain immediately..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

Wet a Rolaid and hold it on the sting . It helps a lot .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Preacher

Not trying to be scary or sound real gloom and doom,  but bee ( wasp, yellow jackets, hornets) stings KILL MORE PEOPLE than snakes and lighten put together in the US. 

A little common pill can help,  BENADRILL.   

if you are around any children for any length of time ,  keep it handy,  one of the best all around medicens there is.

I am just a basic EMT ( with some training)(for volunteer work only)  and would love for some of the folks with a lot more professional training and experience to chime in.  (ie , sugar ray, ghillie, or any body)
Romans 8:37

bird

When I was a kid we would put mud on a bee sting.

redarrow

I agree. Keep benadryl on hand at all times. I found that toothpaste helps with minor burns too.

mossy835

We used baking soda also, good post as I had a hunting friend die from bee stings in his own back yard (he was allergic and a doctor).

Old Gobbler

On another subject , killing wasp nests.... try WD-40 with the straw tip applicator- stuff works better than any wasp killer Ive seen - spray it on ,they hit the ground -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

moonman

Got stung on the finger by a wasp years ago.Grandma told me to spit on it and hold a penny on it.It worked.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

TurkeyPotpie

My Granny back in Texas used to use the baking soda and water paste trick.

Worked like a charm everytime and good on spider bites too.

Didn't do crap on those miserable chiggers though.

Yellowjackets are more dangerous than common bees because they are actually in the wasp family and their venom packs more of a punch and their stinger don't pull out after one sting.

They can hit ya and keep nailing ya.

Can't stand the rotten things

TurkeyPotpie

Quote from: Old Gobbler on July 03, 2011, 11:58:25 AM
On another subject , killing wasp nests.... try WD-40 with the straw tip applicator- stuff works better than any wasp killer Ive seen - spray it on ,they hit the ground -

Works really really well when ya put a lit zippo up to it too.  :toothy12:

OldMarine

Received a email to tape or hold a copper penny on the sting 15 minutes to eliminate swelling and pain.Apparently the reaction   to the copper neutralizes the sting.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan