Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Comfortable cushion for sitting on the ground?

Started by noweil, May 14, 2023, 02:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noweil

What cushions are you ground sitters using? I am not interested in sitting on cold wet ground without a comfortable cushion. Some days I will sit on the ground for 6 or 8 hours. I found the HS Strut inflatable Bunsaver to be very comfortable but they always leak air after using them a while. I bought one of the Hunt Comfort cushions and it worked well for a couple of seasons. However, it seems to have lost some of the comfort or cushion properties when sitting on it for hours this past season. I bought a small inner tube to try sitting on, but haven't used it yet. Any input on a comfortable cushion is appreciated. 

Lcmacd 58

I this isn't a cushion but I've went to low profile chair and it sure makes a difference on those long sits .....

GregGwaltney

Quote from: noweil on May 14, 2023, 02:17:59 PM
What cushions are you ground sitters using? I am not interested in sitting on cold wet ground without a comfortable cushion. Some days I will sit on the ground for 6 or 8 hours. I found the HS Strut inflatable Bunsaver to be very comfortable but they always leak air after using them a while. I bought one of the Hunt Comfort cushions and it worked well for a couple of seasons. However, it seems to have lost some of the comfort or cushion properties when sitting on it for hours this past season. I bought a small inner tube to try sitting on, but haven't used it yet. Any input on a comfortable cushion is appreciated.
I made my own with 5" high density upholstery foam and some waterproof camo fabric. I (wife) then sewed on some shoulder straps with an adjustable chest buckle strap added......it is dry, comfy, light, quiet. Search on Amazon for the foam and fabric, it has been years since I made mine.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

eddie234

I use the h s strut seat with folding legs. Use my butt pad on top. Keeps me a little elevated and dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleGitr

I am believer...after using for several days this spring...in the inner tube seat made by Ms Glenda Green. That thing has a durable inner tube that does not leak, and it is light to carry and comfortable. I didn't think I'd easily give up my lounger, but this is the answer!

Lcmacd 58

If the inner tube is like everything else she offers it's got to be awesome....

Wigsplitter

Quote from: GobbleGitr on May 14, 2023, 07:38:42 PM
I am believer...after using for several days this spring...in the inner tube seat made by Ms Glenda Green. That thing has a durable inner tube that does not leak, and it is light to carry and comfortable. I didn't think I'd easily give up my lounger, but this is the answer!

This - you won't be sorry- your butt will thank you !!

Paulmyr

My vest has the quick deploy seat that folds under my butt and has straps keep it there. If I sit right in it, it cradles my behind off the ground.

The small storage pouches in the back are enough to stow my rain gear and some snacks and act as support/cushion for my lower back and sits perfectly in the gap created between my lower back and the tree and ground.

The weight is distributed from my back against the tree through my lower back, cushioned by my rain gear, and butt which is raised off the ground and supported by the straps.

If I sit like this my gun resting on my knee is at eye level. Basically at the ready with out much movement. It was a little awkward at 1st but very comfortable now that I'm used to it. Also have a much lower profile than sitting up with the all the weight on my butt
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sixbird

Inner tube, underinflated. You won't do better...
Glenda makes some fabulous stuff. I'm sure, with her cover, a wheelbarrow inner tube couldn't be beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

Quote from: sixbird on September 03, 2023, 03:15:34 PM
Inner tube, underinflated. You won't do better...
Glenda makes some fabulous stuff. I'm sure, with her cover, a wheelbarrow inner tube couldn't be beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X3

Greg Massey

Glenda Green, cushion seat with inter-tube and waterproof cover ... awesome seat ...

mountainhunter1

The Glenda Green innertube seat is super comfortable - the secret is to run it at about 50-60 percent inflated. I just have not found the perfect way to carry it around in the woods. I presently have it hanging on my belt over my backside by a lightweight carabiner when I am walking. That would not be bad at all if I did not walk very far to hunt, but 5-8 miles later I get tired of it bumping up against my backside every step. The one positive to that is that it has just enough slack in it when attached to my belt to be able to sit down on it without having to unclip it to work a bird.

I guess I could just go back to my turkey vest and carry her seat in the back of the vest, but that would defeat the purpose of having her satchel that I most days use instead. But her seat is pure gold when sitting in it.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mullet dredge

Second, third, fourth or whatever.....Mrs Glenda's innertube seat(2/3's inflated). Life changing!

Gobbler428

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on September 04, 2023, 11:16:38 AM
The Glenda Green innertube seat is super comfortable - the secret is to run it at about 50-60 percent inflated. I just have not found the perfect way to carry it around in the woods. I presently have it hanging on my belt over my backside by a lightweight carabiner when I am walking. That would not be bad at all if I did not walk very far to hunt, but 5-8 miles later I get tired of it bumping up against my backside every step. The one positive to that is that it has just enough slack in it when attached to my belt to be able to sit down on it without having to unclip it to work a bird.

I guess I could just go back to my turkey vest and carry her seat in the back of the vest, but that would defeat the purpose of having her satchel that I most days use instead. But her seat is pure gold when sitting in it.
If you ask her she will sew a strap on it just like she puts on the satchel and you can carry it over your shoulder,  I carry mine opposite shoulder from the satchel and it works great,

mountainhunter1

[/quote]  If you ask her she will sew a strap on it just like she puts on the satchel and you can carry it over your shoulder,  I carry mine opposite shoulder from the satchel and it works great,
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I will get with her when I see her again about that.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13