OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stoned aluminum call maker recommendations

Started by CG1997, May 14, 2023, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG1997

Looking to add a stoned aluminum pot to the arsenal. Who would be your go to call maker for one? What wood and sound board material would you go with?

Beards and Hooks

I only have one and just got it this year but the Darrin Dawkins stoned aluminum in a plastic pot is a good one.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

I only have one and just got it this year but the Darrin Dawkins stoned aluminum in a plastic pot is a good one.

CG1997

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on May 14, 2023, 01:52:14 PM

Good to know, I believe I saw one in the classifieds not long ago

HookedonHooks

Darrin Dawkins is the originator of the Stoned Aluminum turkey call surface. Lon Trice builds a nice one and Kevin Farr makes a good one, to name a couple.

CG1997

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 14, 2023, 01:59:04 PM
Darrin Dawkins is the originator of the Stoned Aluminum turkey call surface. Lon Trice builds a nice one and Kevin Farr makes a good one, to name a couple.
Do you know what "stoned" aluminum is exactly? Sanding process? What's conditioning like, alcohol wipes?

WV Ridge Reaper

I condition mine with maroon scotch brite.

Dawkins and lonzo are my top guys for that surface..Dawkins ain't fancy but that thing flat out runs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Lonzo Stoned Aluminum is a killer. And Lonzo recommends Acetone on his stoned calls..

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

HookedonHooks

Quote from: CG1997 on May 14, 2023, 02:02:15 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 14, 2023, 01:59:04 PM
Do you know what "stoned" aluminum is exactly? Sanding process? What's conditioning like, alcohol wipes?
The "stoned" is a conditioning to the aluminum. To clean it use alchocol wipes or acetone on a paper towel and that will clean the surface. If you scotch brite a portion of the surface you will be wearing down the "stoned" conditioning and making it "raw" aluminum. I do this on some of my stoned aluminum pots to have two varying grits of aluminum that will sound differently and act differently to the elements.

CG1997

BDeal

The Darrin Dawkins doesn't look like much but is absolutely outstanding. I had to buy one for my son as well. Last week I called 2 toms and a hen in with this call and my son connected. I have had really good results with this call. I never ever hunt without it.

shatcher

Wvgobbler

Lonzo is my favorite for stoned aluminum.
I recently traded a call and ended up with a stoned aluminum in a Padauk pot that Kevin Farr made I will say that call is on fire ????

Boykin Hollow

I agree on the Lonzo one,  I have one and it is a turkey calling machine.

BTH

I have had 4 different ones. A Dawkins a Lonzo in a blk acrylic pot a Slaton double sider and a Buster in a clear acrylic pot. I kept the Dawkins.
That would be my recommendation. The Dawkins is very affordable and deadly. Have called 4-5 to the gun the past 3-4 seasons with it. Killed 1 with the Buster pot last year as well. All are fine calls btw.
Phil 4:13