OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shims for Vortex Venom

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 14, 2023, 07:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I have had the Vortex Venom on a turkey gun for years and it worked great on that gun.  I recently decided to use it on a different gun and it bottoms out before it reaches the POA.  I've tried 2 different bases with the same result.  I've read this can be a common problem with this sight.  I did reverse the elevation screw all the way out and turned it back to see if that made a difference.  I made the mistake of trying to really torque it down hard but only managed to make things worse by wallowing out the screwdriver slot, so now it's really hard to adjust.  I contacted Vortex about replacing the sight through their lifetime warranty, but they insist on sending me shims that fit between the sight and the base to cant the sight to gain more adjustment.  Seems like a quick fix but I was really hoping they'd replace the sight.  Has anyone used the sight shims to fix the bottoming out problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

SumToy

A lot of folks put the shim under the sight.   Now you can make a shim if you feel like it.   Cut a small one out a pop can and place under the back of it. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

PV266

Or check out ADE optics shim kits.  They sell them on Amazon

Meleagris gallopavo

Thanks to you both.

sixbird

Vortex will give you plastic shims which work really well. I fixed a problem red dot with one...Easy fix...

SM

Quote from: PV266 on May 16, 2023, 01:25:35 PM
Or check out ADE optics shim kits.  They sell them on Amazon

On the ADE shim I got for my Venom,the holes don't
line up with the mount posts. I had to open up the two front holes some.

runngun

Sharp knife and a Coke can, all will be well.  It will work.  Vortex sending another red dot ain't going to work.  I don't know why they are out of line on a few guns.

Have a good one, Bocephus

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Meleagris gallopavo

I purchased the shim, haven't tried it out yet.