OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Run like hell kinda...

Started by gobbler74, July 01, 2011, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Well this evening while running the weedeater I was lucky enough to open up a yellow jacket nest in the bottom of a stump... As the small cloud formed and my brain took about 1.5 seconds to register DANGER and another 1.5 seconds to transfer that message to the legs it was too late as the assault began..the first couple hits came as the weedeater went twirling through the air in mid turn. At 15 feet I still wasnt up to speed yet as I realized my hat was slowing me down. In a feeble attempt to defend the backside I was using my hat to decoy behind me as I gained speed and distance away from ground zero. At 30 feet I had managed to hold off the number of hits taken to 7 or 8. As I crossed the driveway and rounded my truck I caught another in the back of the knee..In a textbook spin move aimed  to juke and turn I was able to shake the rest......Until I put my hat back on my head...and thats when the fight started..3 more rounds in  the head and neck as I was sacrifing my hands to inflict devastating blows about my head and neck area..I was stung twice on the hand. The bees suffered a couple casualties too. All is calm now as the weedeater finally shut off when it hit about 40 yards away. I came in the house to recoup and wait for the sun to go down. I have a gallon of gas ready for that stump..Best $4 I ever spent....I typed this whole message with my thumb too so already on the road to recovery :icon_thumright:                 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

redarrow

Dump half a bag of Ortho Sevin 5 dust on the nest at night. In the morning they will be dead.

Tail Feathers

Ouch!  Take it easy for the evening.  That many can cause an issue even if you never had one before. 
That HAS to smart! :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

guesswho

:TooFunny:

Make it a sneak attack with the gas.   Here's a word of advice coming from experience if you plan on using matches with the gas.  Go ahead and put a nozzle on the water hose and place it fairly close to the attack area, turn the water on.   Bad things tend to happen when you mix gas, matches, and yellow jackets.

When I get hit it's normally on the azz.  I'm surprisingly spry for 51 years old and can do a 180 in a split second and hit the ground wide open.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TnTurk

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I bet it sure was a sight  to see.  :lol:   
                 :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012:

kdog

Wow,,,nothing will get your attention like a swarm of yellow jackets coming at you,,,,sorry to hear of your misfortune.Torch those bass turds good tonite and i hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hognutz

I hate when that happens. Glad to here that you got through the ordeal with without a trip to the hospital. I don't do bee stings very well. I got nailed in the shoulder, once, and my arm swelled up like Popeye's. Get well soon, My friend..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 01, 2011, 09:10:54 PM
Ouch!  Take it easy for the evening.  That many can cause an issue even if you never had one before. 
That HAS to smart! :help:
:agreed: This can get serious .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drenalinld

I reccomend a double dose of Benadryl as I had a similar incident on a riding mower. Great story telling for sure. I hope you are good as new in the morning.

TRKYHTR

I'm sorry, really really sorry cause I just can't stop laughing at that visual.  :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Jay

One of the dumbest things as a kid I ever did was hit a hornets nest with a baseball bat. That Pinata didn't erupt candy I'll tell ya. Don't believe I got stung once, but that's only because my way slower cousin took the onslaught.  ;D I was fast back in those days.

CASH

Sounds like what I went through with a bumble bee nest last month.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

gobbler74

Had 5 nests in the ground the size of footballs 2 years ago. the combs were about 4 layers thick. All yellowjackets. They were in hedges that run about 300 feet around my yard..I was in the process if major trimming where I cut them nearly to the ground. I do this every 3 years. Took me 3 days to get em all cut between bee fights and laying waste at night after they all hover in the nests. I was stung a total of 18 times. I am grateful to not be allergic. Update on that nest tonight. All gone!  Yard is once again safe for the kids.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

stone road turkey calls

glad you are ok and the area is now safe for the kids. i ran over a large nest with my tractor and bush hog, started feeling the stings had to jump off tractor kept going the bees stayed with the tractor it hit a tree and dug in they finely went away. what good is a yellow jacket
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

gobbler74

I rank em right up there with mosquitos. Checked out everything this morning. Dug up the nest. About 40 dead ones. One cup of gas down the entrance hole in the stump. No flame necessary. Fumes alone do the trick.