turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the most "forgiving" material?

Started by CG1997, May 11, 2023, 12:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG1997

Aside from slate, what's the second most forgiving material in a pot call? I've got a couple slates, ceramic and a glass. I can run them all pretty well. Glass I still squeak out on from time to time lol but it sounds great. Just curious aside from slate what would be another forgiving material? Crystal? Stoned aluminum? Anodized aluminum? I'm also curious if strikers have a factor as far as straight tip or flared tip being anymore user friendly? I run straight tip but haven't tried a flare tip

mastevt

As a call builder, I dress my glass for customers with a stone, and I have found it sounds much better than any other means of conditioning glass.  That said.  I had a customer send me a pot that he made and wanted my input, since he's a retired and wounded in combat Marine.  The pot was from one of the vendors I use, where anyone can buy a pre-made pot, and you put it together.  He has blasted glass for the surface.  I was pleasantly surprised how well is souned and played.  Now I have a blast cabinet, and my glass that I blasted, never sounded that good.  Mine was alot coarser.  So I guessing it's the medium used.   Now the down fall to me using it, is the vast majority of glass calls that I make, are ordered by the customer that wants a pic under it.  Using the vendors glass, which is all blasted, wouldn't work.  But the vendors blasted glass is a quality sounding and easy to play surface.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

CG1997

I used a stone on mine and just touch it up with a piece of sand paper when it starts to seem like it's not grabbing as well and also hit the striker with scotch Brite. I play it great at home but under pressure in the woods I can squeak it quite often.

shatcher

Stoned aluminum is forgiving.  Not a fan of anodized.