News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newb decoy question

Started by robertsj2221, May 08, 2023, 03:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: robertsj2221 on May 11, 2023, 09:04:10 AM
So you and I hunt the same type of territory. No fields all hardwood ridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likely. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and hunt here and over the line in South Carolina. Most the birds I kill at home are anywhere from 3,500ft to 5,000ft in elevation. Big country, big woods, lots of mixed oak ridges, red oak and white oak mostly. And again I think the best way to learn to hunt that terrain is to learn to read that terrain with regards to set up. Where can I place myself so that he has to look for me and so that when he reaches the point where he should see what he's hearing he's dead? In some ways it's a thousand times easier to do so in big mountains than flat land where a bird can see every direction forever and ever, amen.

Greg Massey

Anything you use in trying to alter the everyday life of a gobbler is taking advantage of him and his situation. YOU become the Predator ... IMO... 

Marc

Quote from: silvestris on May 10, 2023, 11:12:59 PM
It is not antipathy.  It would not be fair to the OP not to point out that there might be a better, more sporting approach to the game.  Sight stimulus deprives the bird of his natural defenses.
Fair point...
Quote from: silvestris on May 10, 2023, 11:12:59 PMSight stimulus deprives the bird of his natural defenses.

As Greg points out above, that is exactly what we are attempting to do with a call.

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 11, 2023, 06:44:55 AM
Never even heard of not using a decoy before I got here, I got started in turkey hunting watching the old Primos videos in the early to mid nineties though.
Remember Primos is making and selling calls and decoys...  Of course they want you to think you "NEED"  a decoy.

But as I mentioned above...  When I began turkey hunting, I was certain that a decoy was of absolute necessity.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

What's funny, ME included, we buy custom calls and pay several hundred dollars for them to mimic the natural sounds of a real hen and we thing in our mines we are not taking advantage of the gobbler... It's all the same, calls / decoys ...  again everything is a tool in your arsenal...  IMO ... good post and good discussions

Paulmyr

Although calls and decoys are types of equipment, one needs to be manipulated by the user in order for it to work properly. The call would not be effective with out this manipulation the decoy does not require anything from the user except to place it some where. The decoy does all work with no help from the user.
Big difference in my opinion when comparing the 2. To say using a call is the same as using a decoy because they are equipment would be an apples to oranges comparison in my book.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

Many gobblers have been killed by people who have no idea how to properly operate a call... I agree the same as apples / oranges ....

Greg Massey

If you really want to get REAL about what has killed MORE gobblers in the last few years, it's called a cell phone... MAPS ....it's not calls or decoys .. IMO ....

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 11, 2023, 11:00:20 AM
Although calls and decoys are types of equipment, one needs to be manipulated by the user in order for it to work properly. The call would not be effective with out this manipulation the decoy does not require anything from the user except to place it some where. The decoy does all work with no help from the user.
Big difference in my opinion when comparing the 2. To say using a call is the same as using a decoy because they are equipment would be an apples to oranges comparison in my book.
The decoy "can" do all the work but often doesn't.  When I hunt with decoys I call to get the attention of a gobbler, who often doesn't gobble.  I have called some come from hundreds of yards away through timber and they saw the decoy when they were 40, 50 or so yards away.  The decoy brought him within shooting range but the calling brought him to the decoy.  For open, flat fields where I hunt sometimes they see the decoy and make a beeline to it from hundreds of yards away without having to hit the call.  Those are boring, less memorable hunts.  I have had birds gobble in the woods and never move much.  In those cases I call, leave the decoy, and move to him.  I love when that happens.  I have seen turkeys startle and run off or walk a safe distance away from decoys.  Seen turkeys ignore decoys.  It's a fallacy to believe that a decoy is almost 100% effective.  The thing with decoys is that once you place it in an open area you're locked in on that spot with few options.  It's not like you can just go out there and remove them without getting spotted when you can tell the turkeys aren't coming to them. 

In my opinion, using decoys can increase success in certain situations.  Being an effective caller can increase success in more situations and gives a hunter more flexibility than being tethered to a decoy.  Of course, if you've never used decoys or used decoys in certain geographies it's hard for me to believe one can speak to decoy use with authority.  Since I've never hunted except for in a small geographic area, it wouldn't be prudent for me to give advise on how to hunt in areas I've never turkey hunted.  Different geography and pressure from predators and hunters are different variables to consider as there is a no-size-fits-all in turkey hunting.  I have no concept of hunting public land so I just read those posts or simply comment on how the general public goes about hunting.  I do not desire to hunt on public land simply to tell folks I killed a gobbler on public land.  I'm satisfied with my situation.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 11, 2023, 12:41:15 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on May 11, 2023, 11:00:20 AM
The decoy "can" do all the work but often doesn't.  When I hunt with decoys I call to get the attention of a gobbler, who often doesn't gobble.  I have called some come from hundreds of yards away through timber and they saw the decoy when they were 40, 50 or so yards away.  The decoy brought him within shooting range but the calling brought him to the decoy.  For open, flat fields where I hunt sometimes they see the decoy and make a beeline to it from hundreds of yards away without having to hit the call.  Those are boring, less memorable hunts.  I have had birds gobble in the woods and never move much.  In those cases I call, leave the decoy, and move to him.  I love when that happens.  I have seen turkeys startle and run off or walk a safe distance away from decoys.  Seen turkeys ignore decoys.  It's a fallacy to believe that a decoy is almost 100% effective.  The thing with decoys is that once you place it in an open area you're locked in on that spot with few options.  It's not like you can just go out there and remove them without getting spotted when you can tell the turkeys aren't coming to them. 

In my opinion, using decoys can increase success in certain situations.  Being an effective caller can increase success in more situations and gives a hunter more flexibility than being tethered to a decoy.  Of course, if you've never used decoys or used decoys in certain geographies it's hard for me to believe one can speak to decoy use with authority.  Since I've never hunted except for in a small geographic area, it wouldn't be prudent for me to give advise on how to hunt in areas I've never turkey hunted.  Different geography and pressure from predators and hunters are different variables to consider as there is a no-size-fits-all in turkey hunting.  I have no concept of hunting public land so I just read those posts or simply comment on how the general public goes about hunting.  I do not desire to hunt on public land simply to tell folks I killed a gobbler on public land.  I'm satisfied with my situation.

My point wasn't that decoys do all the work in killing a gobbler it was that the effectiveness or ineffectiveness for that matter of the decoy lies in the decoy itself. There is no manipulation of the decoy by the hunter to help in its effectiveness. You can't take a call and set it in the field and expect a gobbler to react to it. It needs to be manipulated by the hunter before it can either be effective or not and that usually depends on the skill of the hunter and not the quality of a paint job.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

My conclusion, is that everyone has opinions and we are not all going to agree...  I will continue to use all my tools and tactics within my arsenal.  From the time i leave the truck / hunting cabin in the morning, my number one goal is just enjoying my time chasing / hunting these gobblers... Good luck everyone ....  Be Safe / legal and enjoy yourselves ...

Paulmyr

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 11, 2023, 01:42:23 PM
My conclusion, is that everyone has opinions and we are not all going to agree...  I will continue to use all my tools and tactics within my arsenal.  From the time i leave the truck / hunting cabin in the morning, my number one goal is just enjoying my time chasing / hunting these gobblers... Good luck everyone ....  Be Safe / legal and enjoy yourselves ...

I agree. Hunt how you like not how somebody says you should do it.

Zobo

My advice to you as a new hunter is if you use a decoy use only a hen. Male decoys are considered more dangerous for you because other hunters might mistakenly shoot at them more readily than female decoys. You can get hit by pellet's especially if you keep your decoys close and that's not something to take lightly because they can be direct hits. When turkey hunting, safety must always be your first consideration in decision making. Hunt long enough and I assure you you're gonna see scary close calls.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: Zobo on May 12, 2023, 08:04:19 PM
My advice to you as a new hunter is if you use a decoy use only a hen. Male decoys are considered more dangerous for you because other hunters might mistakenly shoot at them more readily than female decoys. You can get hit by pellet's especially if you keep your decoys close and that's not something to take lightly because they can be direct hits. When turkey hunting, safety must always be your first consideration in decision making. Hunt long enough and I assure you you're gonna see scary close calls.
This is very good advice for a new comer to the turkey woods ..... just because you would never do the unthinkable understand that not everyone out there thinks the same ....
My 2 cents