turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weird question about ethics

Started by Canadian, May 07, 2023, 11:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

So this year i started loading a new recipe for tss. If you saw my other posts, youll see that its a 2 3/4" model 12 friendly, low pressure, 1254fps load. I was so pleased with it, i decided to try it in my primary gun. A browning bps with carlsons 665 non ported turkey choke. Before field use, i obviously took a pattern shot, as should everyone, to confirm an ethical pattern. Literally the most gorgeous 30 yard pattern i could have asked for. So heres the question:

When i shot the bird, he instantly dropped. I took my time, and then went over to him, and noticed he was still blinking. Was he stone dead or just broken neck? He had not flapped yet the way brain shots always do. I simply walked over, grabbed him by the neck, and made sure he went out as quickly and painlessly as possible. Have you guys ever had this? Im somewhat new to tss, and so am still a bit skeptical. I thought he was 35 yards, but was 40, either way, well within kill range. I just never noticed one blinking like that before, and want to make sure, based off the opinions and experiences of others, that i can continue to trust this load. I always set up my gun, to ethically kill 15 yards past my 'personal limit', which is 35-40 yards. Weird question, i know. I just want to make sure im being as ethical as possible with the tss im now loading myself these days.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

If it's tss #9 or even smaller and it's confirmed at 1254 fps then your good. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BandedSpur

I'm not a medical expert but I suspect you are correct that the turkey had a broken neck but no pellets through the brain. I have killed a literal truckload of turkeys with TSS 9s since I  started handloading them in 2009. There have been a half dozen or so of those that were still blinking when I got to them. At any rate, they aren't going anywhere with a broken neck, and you did the right thing to end it quickly. I'm sure that can happen with any shot material, and you are ethically on very solid ground shooting turkeys at 40 yards with TSS 9s going 1250 fps. Also, they don't need to be going anywhere near that fast. I load all of my TSS to 1100 fps for reduced recoil.

Canadian

Thanks guys! Kind of an odd question, but killing turkeys 'ethically' is extremely important to me. Ive only killed about 8 or so birds since i started using tss, and this one was the farthest shot so far, at 40 yards. I dont use tss in order to extend the range in which i shoot, i use it to make sure its as ethical as possible. Ive killed birds at 40 with lead before and just like this time, only because i thought it was about 35 yards. Ive never noticed a bird blinking like that before, so just wanting to hear the opinions of others who have more experience with tss. Thanks for your input. Want to make sure i didn't just get 'lucky'. Breaks my heart when birds suffer.

stinkpickle

With a broken neck, he might not have been feeling anything.

Ranman

This has happened to most of us. You did the right thing. I have used tss #9 for a long time and will continue using it.

Canadian

So do you guys think i just got 'lucky', or that my pattern may still be ethical up to 50 and beyond? Im not asking this in order to try killing one at 50 by the way... 40 is my max, and i only shoot 40 when i misjudge 35. I want a pattern thats absolutely deadly well beyond my max range. Does that make sense?

Canadian

Actually, i guess its not really my pattern that im still skeptical of, its the tss and how much energy it has... If you guys have been shooting tss for years, have had similar experiences, and have a better understanding of its capabilities, then ill trust you guys. I guess when i only aim to shoot within the parameters of 40 yards, i never really get to truly 'test' its capabilities. So when i saw one blinking at 40, i questioned. Heres a pattern at 30 yards. 284 in the 10".

Canadian

2 3/4", 1 5/8oz, browning bps with carlsons 665.

Ranman

That's a great pattern and no turkey is going to walk out of that. TSS will penetrate more than lead because of its density. There use to be a post way back when  was on here that showed pictures of a piece of tin shot with lead and tss. The lead only dented the tin, but the tss punched holes in it.

runngun

TSS will kill turkeys way further than anyone should be shooting. I see that you are shooting a 2.75 1-5/8 load. That pattern is plenty, but I get better numbers. If you are comfortable with that shell, it will definitely kill any turkey that walks.  Remember that 40 yards is a long way, and in the woods and fields, we can be fooled.
The only thing that you don't have is CONFIDENCE!!! YOU GOTTA HAVE THAT!!!
Confidence in your gun/load and ability to put it there!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Canadian

Quote from: runngun on May 12, 2023, 01:16:17 PM
TSS will kill turkeys way further than anyone should be shooting. I see that you are shooting a 2.75 1-5/8 load. That pattern is plenty, but I get better numbers. If you are comfortable with that shell, it will definitely kill any turkey that walks.  Remember that 40 yards is a long way, and in the woods and fields, we can be fooled.
The only thing that you don't have is CONFIDENCE!!! YOU GOTTA HAVE THAT!!!
Confidence in your gun/load and ability to put it there!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Thanks for the reminders! Honestly, i have tons of confidence in my gun and shooting. Guess its just the tss. Im gonna take ur guys word for it tho. Also got some 3" 2oz loads i can try before next season. Thanks again fellas.

Lcmacd 58

It was said earlier.....but confidence in your gun and load will kill alot of turkeys
Good luck
Patience and persistence prevail

runngun

Canadian,  I can't wait to you to report back when you get a chance to shoot the 3 inch 2 ounce load.  With the pattern you will get,  I think that you will definitely like it.  That loads very impressive.  Have trust in the TSS,  it will kill them, and deer, hogs and coyotes too with a little bit bigger shot size.  The 9s will kill coyotes easily.

Have a good one, Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Canadian

Quote from: runngun on May 13, 2023, 12:13:30 AM
Canadian,  I can't wait to you to report back when you get a chance to shoot the 3 inch 2 ounce load.  With the pattern you will get,  I think that you will definitely like it.  That loads very impressive.  Have trust in the TSS,  it will kill them, and deer, hogs and coyotes too with a little bit bigger shot size.  The 9s will kill coyotes easily.

Have a good one, Bo

Thanks a ton! Ill definitely get back to you when i give em a whirl. Looking forward to it.