turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stabilizing some Spalted Maple

Started by mastevt, May 04, 2023, 01:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

Picked up some nice spalted Maple at my buddies saw mill last week.  Got it cut up and gonna stabilize a few along with some Honey Locust from my farm. 
Video of the initial pull on start up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xi5BAlbya_Y?feature=share

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

turkey stew

That is some really sharp spalted maple.

fishr64

Very cool and very nice looking pieces of wood!! I wondered how the stabilizing worked, thanks for sharing.

mastevt

Quote from: fishr64 on May 04, 2023, 08:12:16 PM
Very cool and very nice looking pieces of wood!! I wondered how the stabilizing worked, thanks for sharing.
It's a very long process that starts with drying it to absoute 0 moisture.  Any moisture in the wood can push out the resin during the curing process because water boils at 212, and resin cures at 225.  So getting it to 0 is important and done by weighing the blank at 6 hour intervals during baking.  Documenting it, and re weighing.   Re baking.  Till no more weight is lost.  Then the vacuum cycle.  Which is done till no more air bubbles are being pulled from the wood.  This can take 3 to 4 days under vacuum.  Then the soak cycle.  Which is a static soak, no vacuum, for usually a week.  Sometimes longer.  This allows the wood fibers to take in the resin.  Then the curing cycle.  Bake in the oven at 225 for several hours.  After which, you now have a piece of wood ready to work with.  Lots of time and effort, but when done right, makes a nice piece that is hard, machines nicely, Sands beautifully, and produces a nice finish.

fishr64

There is a lot more to stabilizing wood than I assumed. Thank you for sharing!!

worth612000

I didn't know there was so much involved. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Looks good bud.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Crowstalker

That was great to see the process. Yup thanks for sharing

mastevt

Thanks all.  It's still under vacuum right now.  Still pulling small, what they call Champaign bubbles.  Hoping another day and it'll be done.