OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

partition or game king?

Started by Richyb, June 30, 2011, 05:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richyb

would you rather shoot a moose with a 165gr nosler partition at 2700fps or a Sierr@  game king bt 180gr moving at 2500fps?   I made up a couple of loads and im not sure which ones I will use.

mossybird

Depends on the hunting situation. Is he long range or short range? For long rang I would go with the 165 Partitions, for shorter distances I would go with the Sierr@  Game Kings.

stinkpickle

I would probably lean towards the partitions.

rtsj

For moose; no question Partitions!!!!

dirt road ninja

Quote from: rtsj on June 30, 2011, 07:21:52 PM
For moose; no question Partitions!!!!

Might also want to try accu-bonds. Never seen a moose, but would love to run a arrow thru one.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

OLE RASPY

Quote from: mossybird on June 30, 2011, 05:51:25 PM
Depends on the hunting situation. Is he long range or short range? For long rang I would go with the 165 Partitions, for shorter distances I would go with the Sierr@  Game Kings.
:agreed:

Reloader

NPT

It was invented for such game.

Gk's are pretty soft.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

VAlongbeard84

Nosler Partition and don't look back. They are mean on game such as that!

TnTurk

NP will give deeper penetration on larger sized game animals. The SGK are probally more suited for deer sized game as they don't seem to hold together as well.  JMO

WyoHunter

Quote from: VAlongbeard84 on June 30, 2011, 09:42:30 PM
Nosler Partition and don't look back. They are mean on game such as that!
I've shot two moose with Nosler Partitions and my wife has shot one also using NPs.
Great bullet IMO!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Richyb

Thenks everyone. Would the partitions work good for deer too? or are they too hard? I have also got some 180gr hornaday spire points. Are they a harder or soft bullet?

Nimrodmar10

Depends on what caliber you're shooting.

JUGHEAD

No way on earth I would go after a moose with a GameKing (even though I love that bullet on whitetails).  Partition all day and twice on Sunday! 

Hope you bust a monster!  :icon_thumright:

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Richyb on July 01, 2011, 06:34:43 AM
Thenks everyone. Would the partitions work good for deer too? or are they too hard? I have also got some 180gr hornaday spire points. Are they a harder or soft bullet?

Hornady spire points are a more fragile bullet then the partitions. With that being said the partitions have been around an awful long time and there are much better options out there today. I have seen Partitions shed their jacket on hi vel. shots @ close range. For deer at any sane range the 180 or the 165 .308 Nosler accubonds or the hornady spbt's are hard to beat. Barnes and hornady both make rounds that will retain at least 90% of their weight with velocities under 3100 fps.(hadn't tried them past that) I have had good results hornady's gmx. The little bit of rifle hunting I do (deer) is with 178gr Amax out of my 300wsm or a 180gr. hornady btsp out of my 30-06.

When picking out a bullet for deer I want something that is going to give me a exit wound, but I also want a good transfer of energy as well. Shot placement is much more important then what your shooting them with. Killed lots of deer with target bullets. Go straight up the front leg about 2/3 the way up the shoulder and squeeze They won't go any where. there is some meat loss, but easy recoveries.