OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

On Wearing " Earth Tone" Colors For Safety .

Started by quavers59, April 20, 2023, 02:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

How many here  wear Earth Tone colors occasionally  or more often when Turkey Hunting?
     I have been seeing so many More Turkey Hunters in the last 3 Springs.  I had a guy tracking my Hen Calls while,I was in a Swamp 2 Years back up here in New York.seems like Close Calls are happening more recently. And Turkey Hunters that are shot.
   My only option is Public. I Love these Public Lands! I might go retro a number of Times this Spring. I have a pair of Dark Green Pants,Dark Green Work Shirt, and a Dark Green Hat,I will wear occasionally to go with this Rapid Greenup here in New York already/ April 20th. By May 1st  Opener some Trees in Southern  New York may be fully Leafed out. 
   These new Camo Shirts are super expensive! I shopped at Tractor Supply and bought a $27 Wrangler  Dark Green Work Shirt.
     With all these New People  Trudging around on Public these last 3 Springs- the thought of getting Shot while Sitting in Front of a Tree in a Wetland crops up occasionally.  Wearing Earth Tones on busy weekends might be safer.
    Who else here wears Earth Tones while Turkey Hunting?

eggshell

I started out 50+ years ago wearing only earth tones and turkeys never seemed to spook anymore. I once took a guy turkey hunting that wore buckskins, I was amazed how well he blended in. I really don't see how they are safer though. If you want to be idiot proof  you need armor.

TurkeyReaper69

I don't exclusively wear anything but I'll say I've been wearing a pair of dark green 5.11 pants this spring. Very comfortable and good pants for the woods.

JeffC

Quote from: eggshell on April 20, 2023, 03:59:22 AM
I started out 50+ years ago wearing only earth tones and turkeys never seemed to spook anymore. I once took a guy turkey hunting that wore buckskins, I was amazed how well he blended in. I really don't see how they are safer though. If you want to be idiot proof  you need armor.
Well said Mr Eggshell. I wouldn't go to some public areas without an armored personal carrier.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

I agree, most of these camo pants in this day and time are not worth buying. Especially the prices they ask for these pants and shirts... The Academy Sports brand of camo for the money is a great value.  Greens and earth tones are all fine ...IMO

Dazzler

Not turkey specific, but I think it applies. My favorite gear release from last year j/k.

A deer hunting pack that is not only the color of a deer, but the material is very similar to a deer hide. Strap some rattling antlers on the back and your odds at dodging bullets couldn't be higher.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mystery-ranch-treehouse-20-backpack/88856419826.html?store=&src=hardlines&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoq80di4_gIVfxfUAR1-MQ0tEAQYAiABEgL0g_D_BwE