Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening day went quick

Started by HillclimberWV, April 17, 2023, 08:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

This story is a quick one. Knew about where a gobbler was roosted. Got in there well before daylight. I ended up right in amongst the turkeys as daylight started to break a hen started yelping to my left, and a gobbler cut loose maybe 30 yards behind me. Directly he flew down and landed on the flat above me but still behind be. I was between two benches so once he landed i knew he couldnt see me. It gave me a chance to spin around. No sooner than i did a hen crossed infront of me and started clucking to the hen that started the whole thing. She walked within 30 yards of me going away from the gobbler and he started hammering trying to call her back. I just kept my mouth shut and waited for him to follow her. About 2 minutes go by and i hear him drumming. He breaks off the bench above me and as soon as he hit the lower bench popped into strut. He was maybe 30 steps. I mouth yelped for him to pick the his head up and let the #6 lead fly. All of this happend by 7am.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Awesome job!! great job on the pictures also. If you can repost a better shoot of score calculator, blurry. This team is on a roll, great job!!Will update score sheet tonight.   :turkey2:

Muzzy61

Congrats! Good bird, got to love it when a plan comes together.

lacire

That was a good read, congratulations  :icon_thumright:

notsure

Congratulations and thanks for providing the story.  Always fun to read about other turkey hunters experiences.

Happy

Congrats man! Way to get it done quick!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

snoman4

Spladle160

Great looking bird! Home in time for breakfast.

Spellnj3

HillclimberWV

Tagged out in West Virginia this morning. I don't think its an upgrade, but it was a hell of a hunt and got it done with an old springfield fixed full to boot. Will post more about it later.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

snoman4

Heck Yeah, congrats brother!

Muzzy61

JeffC

Awesome job HC WV! Congrats on tagging out with some history. Did you use 1 of your calls?

notsure

Congratulations! One day I need to get back to my home state of WV for Spring turkey season.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club