OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning Pads

Started by Lone Star Eastern, April 15, 2023, 05:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Would someone mind explaining the difference between these there conditioning pads, and when to use which? Specifically, on slate.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 15, 2023, 05:21:40 PM
Would someone mind explaining the difference between these there conditioning pads, and when to use which? Specifically, on slate.

Thanks in advance!

Sir-diealot

The first two can be used best on slate, the maroon or purple on is a little more course than the green, some may start with that and then go over it again with the green but most just used one or the other and from what I have seen/read mostly the green on slate. The third would be used on glass or crystal and is drywall screen, many say to only go in one direction while using this to condition a glass or crystal call for better sound but others here disagree saying to just go back and forth. I think it is a matter of preference. Edit: Looking at that picture again the third may not be drywall screen, hard for me to tell, in all honesty I need new glasses.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

fishr64

You are correct Steve, the one on the right is drywall screen, which you would use on glass or crystal. For the green or maroon scotch brite, I use those for slate and aluminum surfaces. The green is a bit more course than the maroon. To me it's personal preference and I use both colors on different calls, depending on which helps the call to play better to the individual's style of running the call.

I tried the drywall screen and some different stones and different papers for my glass and crystal calls, but went back to using medium grit emory cloth, with black grit and the cloth backing. I believe that's roughly a 120 grit. This works consistently for me, but it's strictly personal preference and what helps an individual to run the call better and more consistently.

If you have a local hardware store, you might be able to get a sheet or piece of some different materials to try and see what you like best. It's all part of the fun and learning process.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 15, 2023, 06:31:55 PM
The first two can be used best on slate, the maroon or purple on is a little more course than the green, some may start with that and then go over it again with the green but most just used one or the other and from what I have seen/read mostly the green on slate. The third would be used on glass or crystal and is drywall screen, many say to only go in one direction while using this to condition a glass or crystal call for better sound but others here disagree saying to just go back and forth. I think it is a matter of preference. Edit: Looking at that picture again the third may not be drywall screen, hard for me to tell, in all honesty I need new glasses.
Drywall screen is exactly what I thought of when handling it, so I think you're correct.

Lone Star Eastern

It feels like the maroon is more course than the green to me, but your answers are opposite....  What's the verdict?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 15, 2023, 09:34:50 PM
It feels like the maroon is more course than the green to me, but your answers are opposite....  What's the verdict?

I don't have proper feeling in my hands so if I were you I would handle them and decide for yourself or go with what fishr64 says or see what others reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

fishr64

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Lone Star Eastern

Thanks, guys!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 16, 2023, 11:27:44 AM
Thanks, guys!

You're welcome even though I was mistaken.

John Koenig:

eddie234

You can clean the tips of your striker with the maroon pad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: eddie234 on April 16, 2023, 11:55:32 AM

Can you not with the green?

eddie234

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 16, 2023, 12:07:10 PM
Quote from: eddie234 on April 16, 2023, 11:55:32 AM

Can you not with the green?

Yes you can use the green also. IMO I think the maroon works better. Just me

Big Jeremy

I prefer the maroon scotch over the green for everything I use it for...slate, aluminum, copper, and cleaning striker tips. The green works, but IMO the maroon just works better.

My favorite thing for glass/crystal is the sandpaper on one of those little Primos doo-hickeys that has a stone on the other side, and a hollow tube between them that you can put a rolled up maroon (or green if you prefer) scotch brite pad inside.