OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood Combinations

Started by Dhamilton1, April 14, 2023, 03:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

When choosing a box call with different woods for the paddle vs the box, how do you know what's good or best? Is it preference?

Examples and reasons would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vt35mag

Its the specific tree the box is made from that dictates the quality of box.
If you are looking to buy a call from a maker, discuss the sound you are looking for more so than a particular combination. It can make the difference between getting a good call and a phenomenal call from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zobo

There is no best. Choose a maker and talk to him about sound. He will know how to get there with the woods he's got.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

I realized that you might be talking about a pre made box call.  If you can't play or listen to it prior to purchase, I would buy one I like the look of in a combo I don't already own. Or if it's a first box go with "classic" turkey call woods like walnut, mahogany, butternut, cedar and poplar.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

worth612000

For some reason I'm liking all my boxes made from black limba regardless of the lid. LOL

Lcmacd 58

Wish I knew more about wood combos

Greg Massey

ONE of the best places you can go and learn about calls is Unicoi Call Maker Show ... Jan... 12 and 13... You can learn different woods and how different combos sound... This Unicoi Call Maker Show is on Facebook look it up....