OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Confessions of a no killing 4th season turkey hunter. Suggestions welcome.

Started by Dazzler, April 13, 2023, 06:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tnandy

357magnole gave you some good words of advice for sure. Me personally, if i am hunting a field edge, I am going to use at least one decoy, maybe two. If I use a lone hen, i turn her away from the direction that i am expecting the tom to come from. If 2, then i go with a tom with a white head (breeding mood) and a hen a few feet in front of him on the ground in a breeding postion. Deadly combination. On several occasions i have turned the solo hen toward his direction, only to watch him look, gobble and strut about  60-75 yards away and never come any closer. I learned my lesson lol.  The man that mentored me, really helped me not to overcall and to be patient. If a tom honors you by gobbling at you on the roost, he will probably at some point come through your area looking for love later.  I too live near the Ala. line but in TN and our birds are super bad to hook around you when coming in. I work hard on my set up to try to eliminate that. Jason Cruise has some very informative videos that you could watch. I think his stuff is as good as anyone. Good luck and have fun. PM me if we can be any more help