turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It all went as planned until. it didn't

Started by strum, April 11, 2023, 11:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I set up yesterday morn. It was a nice as it gets here in N Ga. calm clear. temps were a little chilly but not bad.
Breaking daylight i here 2 gobblers off to my left and one to my right. Im feeling good.
I just let them gobble. Enjoying the moment.
When I felt it was close to fly down time I made some sweet yelps just loud enough that I knew they could hear me.
The one to my right answered . I stayed quiet.  After a time I hear them fly down. I wait and make a few nice subtle yelps with a cluck er two in the mix. 
I hear the 2 to my left way off. they moved on. But the other one gobbles. Not on top of my call but one of those. I got you babe gobbles.
Hes above me and Im thinking about getting on the other side of the tree but i stay put fearing he may be up there looking down .
So for  1 1/2 hours we played the game. I was on a ridge top and he got down below me. I knew he was close. He would not acually answer my calls but he would gobble (I think) every time he relocated a little bit. My calls were very reserved.
Finally I heard him  below me to my left. I get turned his way. did a very almost under my breath whine. Then I hear his foot steps.
Im got turned with my gun pointed his way but My head isn't down on it . Then I see his white head and part of his fan. Hes strutten and looking for me.
All he needs to do is take a few more steps . There was a tree. I thought when he goes behind that ill get the dot on him. hes in the truck baby.
Instead of continuing past that tree he turns the other way . Ok thats good too im thinking. I havent flinched . hes 15 yards or closer.
All of the sudden . CLUCK!!! He spotted me . Im trying to get on him but he said " Not today " and flew out of my life.
Not sure, but if he had appeared more in front of me.  I had the tree I was sitting against  behind me, thus good cover. but since he came in off to the side I was stuck out and I was in-between him and the sun.  Maybe he caught a glare off my glasses . maybe he saw me blink. I was on top so I was sky lined a little.
1/2 a sec more id have pulled the trigger. Boys, this what makes me keep going back. You spend all that time doing every thing right and boom its over . I dont even care I didnt get him. it was an amazing morn.

Greg Massey

Sounds like you had an awesome hunt, regardless of the outcome ...

Marc

If it went as planned every time, most of us would get bored of it pretty quick...

As much as those days, that we fool them perfect are very satisfying...  It is the days we don't that keep us going back for more!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

JeffC

Some days it's your day, some days it's the lucky Tom... good read, thanks for sharing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

deadbuck

That hunt was a huge success compared to the action I am getting lately.... None. Heck , I would be happy with calling one up and missing right now. Total silence in the woods I have repeatedly limited in for past 10 years. 

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: deadbuck on April 11, 2023, 11:46:33 AM
That hunt was a huge success compared to the action I am getting lately.... None. Heck , I would be happy with calling one up and missing right now. Total silence in the woods I have repeatedly limited in for past 10 years.
they been pretty tight lipped here lately. Not a peep over last two weeks. I think they got started earlier this year then normal.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

g8rvet

I have had a bunch of 45 yard birds, jakes tryin to die, messed up by a poacher and gobblers zigging when I thought they would zag.  Not complaining, been in the action a ton this year and called in a bird for my son in law (only his third ever so I let him take the shot).   

You had a good day hunting and got all the fun except for cleaning him.  You were just practicing catch and release so you can hunt some more.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tail Feathers

I love those heart racing moments.  They don't all end with a shot but they sure make lasting memories.  Stay after 'em!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom007

Thx for sharing a great story on a great hunt.....
"Solo hunter"

deadbuck

I think I can remember every time I ever missed a bird, but have forgotten about many successful hunts. I think that is why some refer to turkey hunting as a disease!

Mick2394

Quote from: Marc on April 11, 2023, 11:42:36 AM
If it went as planned every time, most of us would get bored of it pretty quick...

As much as those days, that we fool them perfect are very satisfying...  It is the days we don't that keep us going back for more!

Agree with this 1000%..
sounds like a great morning regardless, every encounter is a win in my book, killing is just an extra
Semper Fi

strum

Quote from: Mick2394 on April 11, 2023, 02:54:07 PM

Agree with this 1000%..
sounds like a great morning regardless, every encounter is a win in my book, killing is just an extra

yep, even though I didn't get to pull the trigger it was very satisfying. To play the game for that long and coax him in was a win for me.

Mick2394

Quote from: strum on April 11, 2023, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: Mick2394 on April 11, 2023, 02:54:07 PM

Agree with this 1000%..

yep, even though I didn't get to pull the trigger it was very satisfying. To play the game for that long and coax him in was a win for me.
Hopefully you get another chance at him, good luck!
Semper Fi

zelmo1

If I call a bird to 30 yards, I call it a win. If I get him it's a bonus. You won this round, congrats. Z

Flatsnbay

That's why we love turkey hunting! Great story.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk