Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

My season kicks off tomorrow

Started by aclawrence, April 08, 2023, 12:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I went out this morning 4/28. It was really muggy and wet, and cloudy. I didn't talk to anyone that heard a gobble in my area today. I'm taking my son to some private land tomorrow. It will be nice to take a break from where I've been hunting. Hopefully I can get him in front of a Tennessee gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: aclawrence on April 28, 2023, 05:44:46 PM
I went out this morning 4/28. It was really muggy and wet, and cloudy. I didn't talk to anyone that heard a gobble in my area today. I'm taking my son to some private land tomorrow. It will be nice to take a break from where I've been hunting. Hopefully I can get him in front of a Tennessee gobbler.

Best of luck to both of you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

aclawrence

My son and I had an excellent hunt. We slept in my brothers "barn" (think wedding venue, high end horse barn) and woke up at 5:00 the next morning. We get ready and he goes out to the cooler in the truck to get a granola bar. He comes back and tells me he heard a gobble. The hunt is on!  Long story short we ended up getting on a group of gobblers that must have gobbled a hundred times. We came up from the back side of a saddle onto a big horseshoe type feature. The birds were all the way into the bottom on the next landowners place. We set up on the right side. It was a great set up. Unfortunately when the birds finally came up they came up on the left side. We ended up sneaking back out and setting up on the left side. One gobbler got really fired up. He was just across the line in the neighbors pasture and of course there was an old barn wire fence and he wouldn't come across. We got to here some up close gobbling. In the meantime we saw a world record size fox squirrel that could care less about us sitting about ten steps away from his log he liked. We also saw lots of deer and a millipede that must have been 7" long. It was nice to hunt on some private land after the luck I've been having on public. At the end of the day it was still property lines that sealed our fate. We're definitely going to head out and trying it again. I'm pretty encouraged since I haven't heard hardly any birds out there the last couple years. I'm not throwing in the towel myself yet either. I can't let the team down!

aclawrence

I went out yesterday 5/2 to a different WMA. We killed some birds there last year and I hadn't been back this spring. I heard one bird gobble three times. I finally got an idea where he was at and snuck over and waited for about an hour and a half for him to gobble again, which he never did. That was my hunt from yesterday lol. I'll probably try again Thursday and Friday morning but they may be shorter hunts. My time is running out. The good news is I've heard gobblers every hunt except once so turkeys are surviving the pressure. Unfortunately they don't respond positively to calling.

aclawrence

I got in another hunt this morning 5/5. It rained lightly most of the morning. I heard zero gobbles today. I did flush a hen off her nest. Hopefully she'll come back and raise us ten more little turkeys.

Happy

Stay at it. It can change for the better in a few seconds

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Keep at it bud. Has been slow here, only one i have seen display was opening morning and then little gobbling since then. I will not have the truck the next 2 days but when I get back I will be the only person hunting 93 acres so it should be fun.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

aclawrence

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 08, 2023, 10:36:31 PM
Keep at it bud. Has been slow here, only one i have seen display was opening morning and then little gobbling since then. I will not have the truck the next 2 days but when I get back I will be the only person hunting 93 acres so it should be fun.
Good luck Steve. Hope you get one.

turkey harvester

Well i hate to see it go, but my season is done. I was fortunate enough to be part of 4 birds harvested this spring. It was a roller coaster season for sure. Missouri is definitely in a turkey shortage in spots and apparently decent in others. I talked to some buddies of mine that never heard a gobble all season in multiple spots. Maybe when I retire in 3 years I can try to keep hunting other states possibly and keep going. Good luck to the ones still after em..
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

aclawrence

Quote from: turkey harvester on May 10, 2023, 08:54:58 AM
Well i hate to see it go, but my season is done. I was fortunate enough to be part of 4 birds harvested this spring. It was a roller coaster season for sure. Missouri is definitely in a turkey shortage in spots and apparently decent in others. I talked to some buddies of mine that never heard a gobble all season in multiple spots. Maybe when I retire in 3 years I can try to keep hunting other states possibly and keep going. Good luck to the ones still after em..
Alabama is over for me. I struck out in Bama this year for the first time in a while. I'm planning to make a couple trips to Tennessee before it runs out and that will be it for me.

aclawrence

Here's a quick version of the hunt for my TN bird on 5/15/23. I hunted on the same private land I carried my son to a while back. We heard several gobblers on that trip so I was optimistic. I got there and decided to go ahead and walk straight into the same area. The property is similar to a horseshoe shape and the two sides are really high ridges. I went to the right side and finally heard a gobbler at 5:49. Unfortunately there wasn't any gobbling on the side I climbed up to.  My brother hadn't gotten to do any bush hogging because of a broken part so the grass is really tall in the bottom and hillsides. It's also soaking wet from rain the night before. My gaiters were doing there job but the grass came up to my waist almost so my pants got soaked and water was running down my leg inside my gaiters lol. Anyway I climb down and eventually end up on top of the hill on the left side. The bird is across the property line out in a pastor. I was afraid that would happen.  There was one area up on top of the hill that had been disced up. I figured the gobbler knew the clear area was there so maybe there was a small chance he would come over to me. He was very receptive to the calls and would answer me back. I finally decided to get up and just walk around and call all over the cleared area and I guess he liked it. He finally broke and came the couple hundred yards down to where I was at. Unfortunately he would not cross the fence and come over to me. Eventually he walked back the direction he came from. I crawled up to a briar patch and got my eyes on him out in the pasture. I decide it's over and walk over to the fence and realize he walked all the way to the corner of the property where it makes a L. I yelp on my trumpet and he gobbled immediately. I decided to get the heck out of there because I know he's going to walk right back to where he was and tempt me with all kind of bad thoughts about shooting him across the fence lol.  I end up making my way down past the corner and move over into the woods on the side of a hill calling to the bird from a new angle. I started to cut and yelp on my crystal pot and he was tearing it up. It was just a few more minutes and he decided he couldn't resist me anymore and made a fatal decision to get in front of my shotgun. I pulled the trigger about 11:10. Man it was nice to finally be able to have a conversation with a turkey and put my hands on one. It wasn't an easy hunt but I didn't have anyone else coming in on me and screwing it up. The bird hadn't been pressured all season long. If I could have sat across the fence it would have been over quickly. It's a great example of you still have to be where the turkey wants to be. Our team is super close in our OG turkey competition so I hope to be able to go back to another farm and upgrade this bird for our total score. There are some big birds out there!  I've got one more tag to try and fill let's go Strut Stoppers!

aclawrence