turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My BPS and a couple different recipes

Started by Canadian, December 01, 2023, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

Did some paperwork today! In preparation for next spring, i did some patterning with 3 new recipes, as i acquired some more components in the off season. They are all 12ga, 3", 2oz, #9. They are the first 12ga, 3", 2oz recipes ive ever tried. In previous years ive either loaded/shot 20ga recipes, or low pressure 12ga, 2 3/4, 1 5/8 loads. The low pressure 12ga loads are still suuuuper good, and what ill continue to use in Papa's old model 12. However, the 2oz 3" loads are top shelf... data is written top left of each picture. I can manually type it if its too pixelated.

All shot @ 35 yards out of Browning Bps, 26 inch barrel, and Carlsons non-ported .665 choke.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Canadian

Cheddite 3", CSD118
338 in 10"
236 in 20"
574 total

This was the best pattern of the 3 recipes.

Canadian

3" Cheddite, CSD118
287 in 10"
273 in 20"
560 total

The CSD118 performed best against the other 2 recipes. So this was the confirmation shot. Confirming that it performed best out of the 3.

Canadian

3" Cheddite, CSD 100

277 in the 10"
257 in the 20"
534 total

This one performed second best, of the 3 recipes.

Canadian

3" Federal

238 in 10"
277 in 20"
515 total

The recipe utilizing the Federal hull and primer performed the worst of the 3. Still good tho.

Canadian

The differences between each recipe are quite marginal. But when it comes to ethically killing birds, ill take every pellet i can get. Ive decided to go with the Cheddite, CSD118 recipe this coming spring.

Will also note again that all shots were taken at 35 yards, with just a bead/vented rib sight. The barrel was also cleaned between every shot.

runngun

Good deal!!! I really like shooting and testing loads. I built a pellet trap so I can reclaim the TSS. It does great and I am able to recover almost all of the shot. It is 4×4 and I built it out of 2×12s and 6x6s. Plenty stout with metal backing. I built a box along the bottom to catch the shot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Canadian

Quote from: runngun on January 22, 2024, 05:32:33 PM
Good deal!!! I really like shooting and testing loads. I built a pellet trap so I can reclaim the TSS. It does great and I am able to recover almost all of the shot. It is 4×4 and I built it out of 2×12s and 6x6s. Plenty stout with metal backing. I built a box along the bottom to catch the shot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I got halfway done building one and then never really finished it. Just dont have a good place to store it right now. Ill be doing more testing in the near future, as I pulled a bone headed move and bought a SBE2. Was just too good of a deal - $1000 off, brand new... I enjoy testing aswell! I sleep better at night knowing im ethical. We owe it to the bird.

Tom007

I love my SBE. Never fails me, and it patterns lights out for sure.

"Solo hunter"

Canadian

Quote from: Tom007 on February 05, 2024, 06:46:46 PM
I love my SBE. Never fails me, and it patterns lights out for sure.
What do you run out of it for a choke? Im currently going to be running the factory Benelli xfull turkey choke, but was thinking on trying something different? Maybe a Carlsons non ported 665? What do you think? I couldnt for the life of me find any literature on the specs of the extended xfull that came with the gun... i dont know what it is.

My goal is to be as wide as possible (reduce human error), while remaining lethal out past 50 incase i misjudge (once again, reduce human error). I wont shoot if i think hes more than 40, but like to be 100% lethal and ethical to 50.

Tom007

Sorry, just saw this. My best choke in my SBE 1 is a Rob Roberts Final Strut .660. It shoots Winchester Long Beard 6's, Federal Heavyweight 7's (it's a non-ported choke) and Fox trot 9's extremely well. Just seems to be a versatile choke that does well with several different loads. Good luck.
"Solo hunter"

locoman

Can you send me a link to the load data you used? I can't find anything hardly to load TSS. Just what little bit Ballistic products has. I have been told about other places but there was no data.Greatly appreciated. Thanks.