Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Backyard flock

Started by JeffC, April 03, 2023, 09:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

The flock broke up, now we have 3 or 4 groups coming thru. They love the black sunflower seeds or they dont have a lot of other things to eat? So I put a camera under the bird feeders. The 3 Toms are rarely together, seams the Jakes always are strutting and pushing the Toms around. Got these pictures last week, cool to get a Tom breeding a hen.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

HillclimberWV

Always nice to see a healthy flock. Are these town birds?

JeffC

I live kinda rural, there's 140 acres behind me that is going to have houses on it someday. Have 2 acres in a development, there's another development just over 600yds up the hill. Never have had a good turkey population around here, love the fact I can walk out on deck in the morning and here a gobble!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Thanks Tom, you get all your permits you wanted? I ended up with 8, got lucky to get 2 "E" tags before they sold out.

JeffC

Looked out and saw a single Hen by feeders, then spotted a strutter, he walked around yard while Hen actually tried running off a 2nd Hen that showed up. Quess she didnt want to share her man.

lacire

Those are good pictures Jeff. Do you have that new Franchi all ready to go?

JeffC

Morning lacire, just want to change batteries in Holosun and will be good to go. Have you gotten out yet? I am hoping to run over to Jersey tomorrow morning to do some scouting.

lacire

Our season opened on Mar 25th and normally I have my birds down by now, I haven't seen anything but rain and snow. We've had a long hard winter with lots of flooding and freezing temps throughout the state and it's like spring hasn't arrived yet. My son sent me a picture of a couple birds on some property I can hunt but it's a six hundred mile trip and his whole family is currently down with the flu. I'll probably be making a trip down to see him later this month when they're better, l did use the down time to pretty good use by making some new friends over on the goats board.  :TooFunny:

crow

You can't trust half of what them people tell you over there, and the other half is outright trickery

crow

Nice pics, should get your blood pressure warmed up

lacire

Quote from: crow on April 07, 2023, 11:17:07 AM
You can't trust half of what them people tell you over there, and the other half is outright trickery

Yah I know, but when playing turns to hard feelings I backed off, I didn't want to be the only one having fun.  :TooFunny:

crow

Quote from: lacire on April 07, 2023, 03:47:00 PM
Quote from: crow on April 07, 2023, 11:17:07 AM

Yah I know, but when playing turns to hard feelings I backed off, I didn't want to be the only one having fun.  :TooFunny:

I must have missed something, never got the memo we weren't having fun.
I had to shift focus for a bit to reviewing old patterns for a gun I was working on loads for before the season opens up.

JeffC

I am living the dream, Crow, grew up in suburbs of Phila. on the Jersey side, used to have to drive about an hour out to the pines to hunt deer, didnt have a turkey season back then. Now have bucks walking that I wouldve killed for back then, and now I only bow hunt mature bucks, became a buck snob. Took me 13 years to kill my first buck out in the pines.
So after living here for 20 years, finally seeing a growing turkey population is fantastic!