OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper vs Aluminum

Started by Dhamilton1, April 01, 2023, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

Thinking of adding another pot call to the arsenal.

I currently have a crystal over slate dual sided and a full slate.

Wanting to add either an aluminum or copper.

What's the pros and cons of both or whats the opinion on a metal surface pot call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

no pros or cons to eather just hope the bird wants the call your running that day!!   need copper hit me up got few made   

copper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bFTkz4pKg
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

G-dub

Definitely two different sounds.  I carry a crystal, slate and a copper (sometimes stainless).  Never know what they might want to hear that day.
If you're looking to add a copper pot, Mike makes a great one. 

Turkeybutt

I have a copper from Mike that I enjoy. You won't be sorry if you get one.

ChesterCopperpot

I prefer copper to aluminum, but hunt both. The coppers I have carry a little more rasp, but that may be the specific call or striker instead of just the playing surface. If aluminum I think I prefer anodized to stoned or raw. First copper I ever had was a Wendell Rye osage and man that thing killed a lot of birds. Loved it for soft stuff. Sitting in the woods right now waiting on light and one of Mike's is in my pocket. That's the copper I carry most the time now. Regardless of aluminum or copper there's a lot of days those metal surfaces seem to hit a frequency that makes those birds go ape when nothing else will. Another I've come to like is brass. I usually hold that call until late season. A LOT of rasp in that surface and it just sounds so much different than anything else.

aclawrence

I have both a copper from Mike and a stoned aluminum from Buster. They both have a grey slate on the back that works great for the soft stuff.  I really like that stoned aluminum call. It has a lot more grip than you would expect from a metal surface. The copper has a really cool sound. Get both

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Dhamilton1

Quote from: aclawrence on April 19, 2023, 09:07:46 AM
I have both a copper from Mike and a stoned aluminum from Buster. They both have a grey slate on the back that works great for the soft stuff.  I really like that stoned aluminum call. It has a lot more grip than you would expect from a metal surface. The copper has a really cool sound. Get both

I have a dual sided crystal over slate from a local WV maker that is pretty sweet.

A dual sided copper over ceramic would be an interesting combo.

A person could carry two dual sided calls and have 4 calls to work with.

aclawrence

The two sider pots I have just have about a 1 1/2" grey slate on the back.  It makes great soft caller and loud caller.

Sir-diealot

I took my only turkey that was started with a copper call so I am partial to copper, though I do like aluminum as well.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

grayfox

Love my Mike Yingling copper/slate. Beautiful sounding call.

Notsoyoungturk

I have a copper from Mike that is pure turkey
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

2flyfish4

I like my stoned aluminum over my copper call. Actually I love my copper when it is playing right, but man its a finicky call. I've been told my multiple sources copper is very susceptible to humidity which causes it to be finicky.

The stoned aluminum sounds good everytime I pull it out

aclawrence

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on April 23, 2023, 10:32:08 PM
I like my stoned aluminum over my copper call. Actually I love my copper when it is playing right, but man its a finicky call. I've been told my multiple sources copper is very susceptible to humidity which causes it to be finicky.

I'm always surprised how grippy my stoned aluminum is. You would think it would be slippery but strikers run great on that surface.

CG1997

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on April 23, 2023, 10:32:08 PM

I've had the same experience with copper. Don't know if it's me or what lol