OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help choosing a first longbox

Started by RiverRoost, March 30, 2023, 09:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I usually don't carry a box of any kind.  Sometimes I will in the afternoon or if windy. I'm wanting to get a GOOD long box and start carrying it daily. Debating between Halloran  ebony or Van Cise. I was looking at Matt's Facebook page last night and like the sounds of his Snakewood/walnut, the bloodwood/beach, the bloodwood/American chestnut, snakewood/American chestnut or bloodwood/ambrosia. Any suggestions?

Yoder409

No flies on either of those calls.

One more I'd recommend highly is Ernie Fetters.  He is a member here (shademountain2010) and makes a KILLER longbox !!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

I love my Marlin "Don" Watkins calls, I have 4 from him now.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkey stew

SSCustom longbox is also a fine choice.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 30, 2023, 10:20:41 AM

One more I'd recommend highly is Ernie Fetters.  He is a member here (shademountain2010) and makes a KILLER longbox !!!!!!

Totally agree, for the money Fetters LB is a steal. SS Customs and Dan Harris (Located in Texas) are just about the equal and I think they are all within five to ten dollars in price between the three builders on your common wood combos.

If money is no issue, then Mr. Marlin needs to get a call from you.

And on the slight chance that you live in or anywhere close to Georgia, go visit Mr. Lonnie Mabry. Amazing long box for what he charges.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

jwp0020

Donnie Gallahar (the guy that used to make the Screamin' Hen for Doug Camp) has recently made up a few new long boxes.  I have run most of the long boxes mentioned in this thread and prefer the Screamin' Hen over all of them.  The light lid is what separates it from the rest in my opinion.  It gives you so much control over the call.  I bought one, but I can't post a picture for some reason. 

paboxcall

First long box or even one long box forever?

Billy Bush.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

T J Johnson makes a fine longbox ... check out his sound files on his facebook page ...

Zobo

Consider Steve Mann for a longbox. There was one in the classified recently
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

RiverRoost

Being new to the longbox scene, I've heard multiple times of marlin watkins. How would I get in touch or hear some of his longboxes.

quackaddict

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 30, 2023, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 30, 2023, 10:20:41 AM

Totally agree, for the money Fetters LB is a steal. SS Customs and Dan Harris (Located in Texas) are just about the equal and I think they are all within five to ten dollars in price between the three builders on your common wood combos.

If money is no issue, then Mr. Marlin needs to get a call from you.

And on the slight chance that you live in or anywhere close to Georgia, go visit Mr. Lonnie Mabry. Amazing long box for what he charges.
How would one get in touch with Mr. Mabry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Spring Creek Calls

"How would one get in touch with Mr. Mabry?"

Lonnie doesn't ship so you have to go to his shop. If you're looking for a good long box at a reasonable price contact "packmule" on this sight. I'm selling off my high dollar long boxes after getting one of Toby's last year.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

tal

Nothing wrong with Halloran or Van Cise. Do you have to have it before the season? I'm no box guru but as mentioned I have a paddle from packmule that plays with Marlin Watkins, TJ Johnson, and Steve Mann. All those calls deserve a better player.

limb_hanger

Quote from: jwp0020 on March 30, 2023, 03:38:38 PM
Donnie Gallahar (the guy that used to make the Screamin' Hen for Doug Camp) has recently made up a few new long boxes.  I have run most of the long boxes mentioned in this thread and prefer the Screamin' Hen over all of them.  The light lid is what separates it from the rest in my opinion.  It gives you so much control over the call.  I bought one, but I can't post a picture for some reason.
Have any contact info or photos of the call ?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

3bailey3