turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Color me frustrated

Started by Duckdogdad, March 18, 2023, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler428

If you hunt these birds long enough it will either happen to you or come dang close.  It came close to happening to me about five years ago, I was set up on a fire lane that ran along the spine of a ridge.  It was just after noon and I was cold calling with a long box and eating a sandwich   I had just finished calling and put the box down when I hear a gobble off the back side of the ridge. I waited about five minutes soft called with the box and instantly heard several birds gobble. There was more than one bird and they were much closer.  I put the box down, placed the gun on my knee and waited. A few minutes later five longbeards stepped out in the fire lane about 60 yards from me and proceeded to line up in full strut like they were in a parade. I couldn't shoot, only had one tag. So, i watched them proceed to walk right by me until they got about 10 yards past me when they all stopped, folded their wings and started milling around. One of them stepped off the fire lane and separated himself from the others enough so I took the shot and he went down. As I approached him, he was not flopping but he jumped up and starting running off the ridge, As he ran, he would try to fly but it was somewhat thick and he kept flying into trees. It was evident that he was blind. He must have heard me walking because he turned and flew right at me and I had to drop to the ground in order to keep him from flying in my face. At that point, he went another 25 yards and settled down long enough for me to shoot him again. That's the one that almost got away from me and he would have been a meal for a coyote for sure.

Timmer

If that's the first time in 30 years then I think you can consider yourself an ethical hunter and chalk it up to a series of unlikely events.  I had it happen to me once in my 25 or so years I've been hunting.  I felt terrible and searched for hours, but never came up with the bird.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Treerooster

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 20, 2023, 06:38:31 AM
These damn birds have become immune to any shot other than TSS. They really are evolving wow.

The OP was using TSS

huntineveryday

One of the first years I was old enough to start sitting on my own, my dad and I had split up and sat at different ends of a property. After a while I hear a shotgun blast from his direction...then after about 30 seconds 2 more! About 30 seconds after that I see a turkey running from that direction out of the woods across an open pasture. Then I see my dad come out of the woods a good 200 yards behind him trying to keep up! Luckily from my vantage point I was able to see the tom tuck into the last bit of good cover and not come out. We were able to sneak up to the tom in that clump of cover and ended up taking him home. Dad had hit him, sat his gun down and leaned back to celebrate, then watched the turkey jump up and take off running.

The sight of my dad emerging from the trees chasing after that turkey still makes me laugh. We were lucky the bird ran out of cover, cause dad wasn't gonna catch him!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Treerooster on March 21, 2023, 08:34:45 PM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 20, 2023, 06:38:31 AM
These damn birds have become immune to any shot other than TSS. They really are evolving wow.

The OP was using TSS
;D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

High plains drifter

I've been turkey hunting for 30 years. I have 22 gobblers,6 jakes, and 6 hens. I've wounded 2 gobblers,one seriously. The other flew off. I looked for both. I have only totally missed one bird. One of the birds I wounded was a result of having the wrong tube in.My fault. Preparation is very important. Having the right load. I use 1 7/8 oz. Lead BB. Or 2s.