LET'S DESIGN YOUR TURKEY VEST

Started by REBELYELL, March 23, 2023, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

bowbird87

I've been chasing a better vest for a long time. So far I'm really liking the Will primo's signature series vest. It has more pockets than your ever need, it also seems to be well built. The magnets on the seat are very strong which is the down fall of many vest.

misfire

I was actually speaking with someone at the NWTF in Nashville about this very subject. That person is wanting to develop a vest, but is scared of the initial start up costs, which I totally understand. I did tell him I had a few suggestions. I have a Knight Products hands free and love that option as I am a run and gun kind of hunter. I do have to have a cushion as I have a common disease, noassitall (sound it out slowly). I do not use a box call, but carry four pot calls and at least 5 strikers. I hate to have my strikers rattling around in a pocket. So a vest with secure striker pockets or something relatable is a must. A Thermacell pouch and a water bladder would be nice too. Grounded has silicone on the inside of their vests to help prevent the straps slipping. I would also like to see a spot on the strap to tuck a trumpet in.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

zelmo1

Super Tat,r  III with a bigger thicker seat for us larger bottomed guys. Z

Tunaguy

Quote from: paboxcall on March 23, 2023, 06:41:01 PM
Got to start with molle, otherwise what's the point. It has to be ADAPTABLE to individual needs.

Tetherd came close with the M2. But the Nomad MG, the similar Fox/Dixon vest, and the RNG 300 were strong designs despite being completely unadaptable.

Get the base right, even the M2 has its limitations, and make it all molle on a wide belt across the back, and a Fox / Nomad MG cut across the front on lightweight fabric with molle. Forget the silly gun sling style straps, and go molle down each shoulder. That would be an easy and cost effective base to start.

Put the time and energy into designing functional molle-base pockets for:
short box, and boxes with handles,
singular pot call holders similar to the RNG,
thermocell pocket,
water bottle pouch,
Dump pouch with velcro interior to modify the pockets similar to M2, and
yes, a striker holder that actually holds a striker securely.

All of these or some of these can easily be securely affixed to the molle base vest. Leave the shell loops to 3, its turkey hunting not a skeet shoot.

Want to carry four pots, molle lets you. Want to carry four boxes and no pots, molle lets you. Want to go light, leave the many molle pouches or pockets at home, and go with water, a box or pot pocket, and a dump pouch.

Seat can be attached like M2, but the RNG system accomplishes the same. But agree, hard to not use a seat system that has strong magnets like Nomad MG for moving quick.
I 've been thinking about the same idea. This would really make the vest a personalized item
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Sir-diealot

1. Has to take a 3L water bladder, with room for a second for those that are in arid areas

2. Has to offer various seat configurations, thickness, width and maybe offer a tire seat or one with the tailbone area cut out.

3. Have room for both a long box and a short box, I would rather have those built in but like the molle idea for other stuff.

4. Waterproof pocket for cell phone in case of emergency or for those that use them for pictures after the hunt.

5. A back pad is a must and must run the full length of the spine but not directly connected to the seat portion where it would curve up as one long piece.

6. Be available in any camo patter except Bottomland original, most useless pattern on the market next to the duck camo. New   
Bottomland would be acceptable but not preferred, would like it in Breakup for early season and Obsession for late season.

7.Waterproof pocket for Thermacell with spots to put butane cylinders and pads built in.

8. Totally out there and only saying because of my back and tailbone issues but a version that could be heated on those cooler mornings would be nice, but again that is out there.

9. A place to put a good pair of ratcheting pruning sheers.

10. Some kind of pull out blaze orange for when you are carrying one out as well as a blaze orange tote like the Turkey Hammok

11. A place that actually holds strikers well and more than just 2 or 3

12. Water/Sweat/Mildew Proof

13. Cost $13.13  to scare off the superstitious sort.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: Happy on March 24, 2023, 11:13:59 AM
I never got the appeal on magnets for the seat. They are pretty loud when they connect. I always preferred the quick release buckles. I can operate them silently. Of course, this is coming from a guy who doesn't worry about using the seat all that much when I am on a turkey.

I do like the magnets when I use a seat...  Flip it down quickly when I want to sit, and more importantly (quietly), easy to flip back up.  Obviously the seat flips down more quietly than back up.

But like you, I rarely use one.  Only for the first hour or so in the morning to keep dry from the dew.  I am a smaller guy, and there is no seat that has not been cumbersome, and I can generally get comfortable on the ground wihtout a seat as long as the ground is dry.

And, I tend to "slide" on the seats I have used.  I am often on an inclined surface, and fighting to stay situated is less comfortable than the seat.

As to the OP...  I do NOT think it would be cost effective to design custom vests.  I use a Cabela's, primarily due to the fact that most vests are seemingly made for big fat guys, and most fit me like a poor-fitting dress that bangs around when I walk.

One thing I might like to see on a vest would be some sort of (maybe magnetic) binocular holder that would both allow easy access of binoculars without them banging around while walking.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.