OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

smartphones

Started by doepee, June 25, 2011, 10:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

dumb question because I don't know crap about these phones... whats the difference between a 4g phone and a 3g phone.... I see the droid incredible 2 is 3g and the LG revolution is 4g?????

gophert

Quote from: CamoMan4025 on June 26, 2011, 09:00:38 AM

gophert......if you're getting 2 days on a batt with an EVO, you need to PM me some tricks, cause I usually can't make it a day on mine.

Kevin

Well, in your defense, you won't get that battery life on a stock EVO.  I've rooted the phone and am running a custom ROM with a custom kernal.  The main thing you want to do is make sure nothing is constantly trying to update like email, weather, facebook etc.  That will drain a battery quickly.  Also make sure google talk is not signed in.  Unless you surf the net constantly, you should be getting 10 hours without a charge.  Keep 4g off unless you are using and always hook up to wifi if you have that option. 

Here is site that might help. 

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

Good Luck

OLE RASPY

Yall are hi-tech now let me tell ya.Im still using a old nokia with no internet or text messaging. :(

simpzenith

It's funny you post this because I just upgraded my phone through Sprint. I have the EVO and I can't seem to put it down. So many cool things that you can do on it and some that can be applied to hunting. For example, I can take a pic and it will save the gps coordinates of the pic. I can then save text or record a voice memo about the pic, save it as a kmz (Google Earth) file, email the pic and/or file to a hunting buddy, etc., etc. Oh yeah, and visit OG like I'm doing now.:)

doepee

I have looked at the EVO since I am already with sprint anyhow but there are so many good choices out there I am in a state of confusion.. :TooFunny:    Is a 4g phone much difference than 3g ? Another question ... it seems like a 4g phone can run 3g if it doesn't get the right signal? Do most phones receive 4g ?????      Would a fellow notice a difference between the two?

bad0351

I have a blackberry bold....I like it alot but may try the android platform next time...
touch screens scare me a little though...
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

TrophyTracker

Quote from: gophert on June 26, 2011, 07:54:09 AM
Stay with Sprint...they have the cheapest "everything" plan out there.  I have the HTC EVO, which is still one of the TOP Android phones on the market today.  After tweaking the settings some, I can go 2 days with normal use before I have to charge. 

Ditto.

I run the EVO Shift. Once you have all these features at your fingertips, you will never go back. The weather radar, sunrise/sunset tables, and camera take my hunting to the next level. It is with Sprint, and the plan has more value in it than all the others combined. Radio Shack has the best deals, and gives you the discounts without the stupid mail in rebates
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: rtsj on June 25, 2011, 10:55:42 PMThe battery life sucks but from what I hear they all are pretty bad.
I don't have a smart phone (yet), but my kids and many of my friends do, and that is basically what I have surmised as well.
Good info here guys, thanks for the tips! I'm fixing to get a Droid from Verizon soon.

TurkeyPotpie

Quote from: doepee on June 26, 2011, 05:02:52 PM
I have looked at the EVO since I am already with sprint anyhow but there are so many good choices out there I am in a state of confusion.. :TooFunny:    Is a 4g phone much difference than 3g ? Another question ... it seems like a 4g phone can run 3g if it doesn't get the right signal? Do most phones receive 4g ?????      Would a fellow notice a difference between the two?

Heya doepee.

4g is a faster internet connection than 3g. 

4g phones run 4 and 3g, but 3g phones cant run 4.

The evo runs both and can be connected to an open wifi connection also or a coded one if ya know the WEP key password

I been running an evo on sprint bout 6 months now and the thing is awesome.

That is what I'm posting from now

I notice a difference between 3 qand 4g speeds but when I lock onto a strong wifi signal it seems faster than both.

Slimline super high cap batteries are now available for the evo's without needing a different case back and allows you to use the standard stock one that comes with phone.

Go for it, you'll dig this phone.

Solid Snake

Quote from: bad0351 on June 26, 2011, 05:19:28 PM
I have a blackberry bold....I like it alot but may try the android platform next time...
touch screens scare me a little though...

I have an iPhone 4 and use a BB Bold for work. The touchscreen works incredibly well on the iPhone. The keyboard on the iPhone works a thousand times better than the actual keys on the Bold.

Peck1524

I've had the Sprint EVO for almost a year now. Sprint has by far the cheapest everything plans and with my work I get an additional discount. I get a solid full day of battery life, and I use my phone for everything. I have a few friends and family who have an iPhone and they are a bit jealous of my EVO.

Basser69

I have an Iphone 3gs and love it. The wife has a 4g and the screen is way too touchy. If she holds the phone with her shoulder, all kind of funky things happen. But needless to say we love them both

J.Davidson

To everyone interested in switching to verizon if your gonna do it u better do it now because after the 4th or the 7th of july verizon is doing away with unlimited data plans but anyone who gets a contract before then or already has a one is fine.  they also cannot change your unlimited data plan if you have to renew or upgrade past that date. Almost forgot this applies to people with smart phones only, so if you dont have one better be gettin one quick.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Apple Iphone is by far and away the most popular phone on the planet.  It got that way for a reason.  Need I say more. 

Reloader

I have a Motorola MB520 with Droid Tech and like it.  I don't care for the large size and weight of most smart phones, so got the MB520 for it's smaller size and light weight.  I like the Droid, but most of the smart phone users I know run the I-Phones.  I was actually going to get the IPhone until the lady at the store talked me out of it.  She claimed the battery life was terrible compared to the phone I bought.  This one stays charged for 2-3 days depending on how much I use it.

I also have a BB Bold and it seems to be a good phone.  I prefer it for email, but the Droid is much better for surfing the net and the Apps are much better as well.