OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet

Started by bdgobbler, March 22, 2023, 08:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranman

Quote from: misfire on April 21, 2023, 12:08:33 PM
Actually, only have 2 left. Just sold one of them

Lot of great call makers on here, but Lee (Misfiregamecalls)  is a great place to start..

Greg Massey

My suggestion, is to buy trumpets from builders who have been making them for a long time... In other words top builders with a great following and reputation. Sometimes this may require a waiting period of months or even a year or more but the sound, tone, quality and craftsmanship will speak for themselves. Also look at getting them in a musical type of tone woods... When this trumpet crazy started you have some building trumpets that in the past never offered or really build a lot of trumpets who now are flooding the market with horn that are high in price and just average at best .... IMO.... So in other words you get WHAT you pay for in these calls... IMO

gobblers roost

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 25, 2023, 09:54:43 AM
My suggestion, is to buy trumpets from builders who have been making them for a long time... In other words top builders with a great following and reputation. Sometimes this may require a waiting period of months or even a year or more but the sound, tone, quality and craftsmanship will speak for themselves. Also look at getting them in a musical type of tone woods... When this trumpet crazy started you have some building trumpets that in the past never offered or really build a lot of trumpets who now are flooding the market with horn that are high in price and just average at best .... IMO.... So in other words you get WHAT you pay for in these calls... IMO
I've been using trumpets for  over 50 years, and  I have/ had the best of the best .These other guys like Moye ,Dave shoemaker Ken Mullins  Slanton. Mero. Bott definitely can hold a touch  to all the big names . U can spend $150 or less and call in just as many gobblers or hens. Don't  get caught up on all the hype!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: gobblers roost on April 25, 2023, 12:24:02 PM
I've been using trumpets for  over 50 years, and  I have/ had the best of the best .These other guys like Moye ,Dave shoemaker Ken Mullins  Slanton. Mero. Bott definitely czn hold a touch  to all the big names . U can spend $150 or less and call in just as many gobblers or hens. Don't  get caught up on all the hype!

I so agree ... don't get caught up in the hype and deal with reparable builders ....

Spitten and drummen

Spot on Greg. There are trumpet makers and there are wanna be trumpet makers. All trumpets are not created equal. I have owned trumpets from many many different guys. I have been using them for a very very long time. Long before the craze started. Solid advice Greg.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Brillo

I called in my first ever gobbler this year with a trumpet I bought from Mr. Chadwick.  Great man to deal with.  I was calling for my D-I-L and we had a hoot even though she did not get a shot off.  I am a total musical "mis"fit, so I go well with misfire.  I had several other responses that I "mis"handled.  I have other types of calls but that trumpet is by far my favorite.  Once I master it, and I will,  I will be deadly.  Thanks Lee.

misfire

Quote from: Brillo on April 28, 2023, 08:44:50 PM
I called in my first ever gobbler this year with a trumpet I bought from Mr. Chadwick.  Great man to deal with.  I was calling for my D-I-L and we had a hoot even though she did not get a shot off.  I am a total musical "mis"fit, so I go well with misfire.  I had several other responses that I "mis"handled.  I have other types of calls but that trumpet is by far my favorite.  Once I master it, and I will,  I will be deadly.  Thanks Lee.

Too many "mis"s in there :) but glad you like it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Chris O

Chances are once you get one, you will get hooked and want many more lol. Every name I have heard mentioned will get you started in the right direction. Practice is what gets you the results there is no magic call that works perfect for everyone. We all have different preferences and calling ability some guys can make a straw inserted in the bottom of a Dixie cup sound pretty good while the next guy has a $500 call and sounds like crap. Get a call from someone you hear mentioned regularly in the price range you want and in the wood you like the looks of and you will be happy. If not you won't have too much trouble getting rid of it. Wingbones are also another option as well. Enjoy whatever you choose!!!

Shoebuck

I am hunting now but I can fix you up with a Trumpet or Jordan Hybrid in a short time, and you will not have to mortgage the house, I would also advise you to buy a call from a maker that is not afraid to send you a sound file,   Dave Shoemaker  DES TRumpets

savannahrivergoobler

Quote from: gobblers roost on April 25, 2023, 12:24:02 PM
I've been using trumpets for  over 50 years, and  I have/ had the best of the best .These other guys like Moye ,Dave shoemaker Ken Mullins  Slanton. Mero. Bott definitely can hold a touch  to all the big names . U can spend $150 or less and call in just as many gobblers or hens. Don't  get caught up on all the hype!

I've been using trumpets as my primary call for 30+ years.   I've used a lot of trumpets from different call makers.  At the end of the day,  any trumpert will get the job done,  but some are much better than others.
My top two kill trumpets come from both ends of the scale.   I started out using a penn woods tom turpin purchased at walmart.  I killed a lot of birds with that mass produced call.  My other top killer is the grandfather of trumpets.  Billy Buice Osage Orange.  I remenber getting it and giving it a test run at the post office parking lot.   My first thoughts were I don't see what all the hype is about. Sounds like my other trumpets.  But after a season in the woods,   it was pretty clear that turkeys hear special music from his trumpets.
I use various trumpets during the season, but I never leave home with out it and its my go to call on any special hunts

savannahrivergoobler

Does Seth have a website?   What is the best way to contact him?

Bedge7767

Quote from: savannahrivergoobler on May 13, 2023, 08:19:20 AM
Does Seth have a website?   What is the best way to contact him?

He's on here as Seth41 and he's on Facebook too.
Jim