turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Difference in sound from house to woods

Started by Joneshunter, March 21, 2023, 12:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joneshunter

So I'm basically down to thinking one thing, humidity. I live in South Mississippi I guess it stays real humid but I got 2 aluminum pots and a glass pot I can purr and do everything one but once I hit the woods I feel like I lose all bite in my striker and besides yelping sometimes my clicks screech and almost all the time my purrs are harder to make without screeching. I'm just wondering what you guys do with humidity or whatever makes what I think such a huge difference in my calling. I feel like I can get down on a pot, but right now I feel like I call like crap in the woods...

outdoors

I keep it covered , uncovered it only when I USA it
This is the biggest reason why I'm going to trumpets
And I have had really good responses using that
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Greg Massey

I use hand warmers to keep them warm and it will help with the humidity ...

gmbellew

calls just sound different outside without all the walls to bounce off. could be that is the difference?

paboxcall

Based on your description, sounds like humidity is causing the issue. Watch the weather forecast and on a day where humidity levels are low, step outside and try and run the calls. That will tell you if that's the issue.

Best to diversify, learn to run a mouth call or yelper which isn't so particular to humidity.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Joneshunter

Quote from: gmbellew on March 21, 2023, 10:08:29 AM
calls just sound different outside without all the walls to bounce off. could be that is the difference?
I don't think so, I feel I lose my bite on my striker

bbcoach

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 21, 2023, 11:10:40 AM
Humidity maybe the problem.  My question to you is, how do you scuff up your pots and strikers and how often?  I live in Eastern NC and we have quite a bit of humidity as well.  I have problems from time to time with slates, but not with glass or aluminum.     

randywallace

Aluminum oxidizes quickly after being scuffed up.  Grab a glass caller and see if you have the same issue.  I hunt in central MS and the humidity is high most every day I walk in the woods, so I doubt humidity is your issue.  Rarely do I ever need to scuff a caller during a hunt.

gmbellew

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 21, 2023, 11:10:40 AM

also - wearing gloves will impact the sound.

sixbird

If you think it's moisture, try turning call upside down and run a lighter quickly over the surface.
The other thing you could try is rain chalk on tip of striker. Moisten the tip, grind in chalk and then wave it around until it dries. That should get you your bite back.
The other thing might be 91% alcohol on a paper towel or cloth. Clean surface and let it dry.
Green or red scrubbies would be the only other thing I can think of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beardedbird

slicksbeagles1

I leave my calls in my truck overnight so they are acclimated to the weather.

Spitten and drummen

I hunt Southwest Ms and humidity is definitely high here. Plays havoc on grey slate but not really glass. Now take a glass call out of a air conditioned house into summer heat and that's a different story. Like suggested , leave call in your truck overnight before hunting the next morning.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RiverBuck

Lcmacd 58

Make sure your calls and strikers are acclimated to the out side temp...itll make a world of difference....the practice in the conditions you hunt.