turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pet Robin, Pics and Story

Started by Kylongspur88, June 25, 2011, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Almost two weeks ago when I came home from work at my internship I found a robin's nest laying in the yard. A mid day storm had broken the limb it was on and the nest and two birds ended up in the yard. One of the birds was already dead when I found the nest but the other seemed to be in pretty good shape. The nest was not a loss so I put on a pair of work gloves and put the baby back in the nest and placed it on a fence post. I knew this wasn't the best place to put it but there weren't any good spots in trees low enough for me to reach. The next morning momma was on the nest and I was glad to see that the little bird might make it.
A few days later another storm blew the nest off the post. Again the robin was ok, but I knew I had to get a better place to put the nest so I took some duc tape and a broken limb and made a three way split in a tree where I could place the nest. Momma bird about killed me while I constructed this but at dark she was back on the nest.
That night a huge storm blew through and the next morning the robin was back on the ground. Again I put on gloves and withstood a few dive bombs from momma and placed him back in the duc tape jerry rig tree fork.
I knew that if he could just make it one more week he would be safe on a limb and able to fly enough to stay out of danger so I prayed that the storms hold off. Well today when I was in the matters I saw the little guy sitting on the edge of his nest and he looks to be doing fine. 99.99% of the time I would have left him and said let nature take its course, but with this one I guess I felt like I had to make up for all those robins that felt the wrath of my Daisy when I was ten. Here's pics of Elmer and his momma...     

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

kamski1151

Hope the little fella makes it....

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

redarrow

doepee

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BOFF

Great story and pics!!

Thanks for sharing!!

God Bless,
David B.

turkey slayer

Great story! thats one lucky bird.

GobbleNut

Great story!  ....Probably confusing to a lot of PETA types that don't understand that we can be hunters and still have great compassion for wildlife,....as shown by this example.

mossy835

Nice story, it must have made you feel good to have helped this young bird survive. We can hunt and have compassion too.

RutnNStrutn

Good job!!! :icon_thumright:
Keep us posted on how it goes!! :anim_25:

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hognutz

Way to go.. He sure is a cute little feller. You done good. Kudo's to you..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.