turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My long box.....

Started by Tarheel, March 20, 2023, 11:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

I was asked to post more photos of my boatpaddle long box.  I don't want to highjack the other thread, so I started this one. 

In 2004, I decided to make a boatpaddle long box for myself.  My father-in-law had given me some really nice aromatic red cedar from a standing dead cedar tree he had cut off the farm I could use for the paddle lid, and I had a short board of local yellow tulip poplar that would work for the box.  This was my first attempt at making a long box turkey call, and my first attempt at call decorating.  It is crude. When I finished it, I thought it sounded pretty good to me, so I hunted it.  Now, 19 years later, it is beginning to show the dirt, bumps and nicks of wear and tear from usage; but IMHO, it sounds better now than ever. It carries the notches of 21 gobblers it was the cause of death and the names of 9 deceased old school turkey hunter relatives and friends that go with me when I go turkey hunting.  I've thought several times about re-doing it to make it look better, but I finally decided to leave it alone.....it carries it's history and usage as it is.  As I stated in the other thread, my youngest son, who turkey hunts with me has told me if I don't leave him any other turkey call he wants this one.  The first turkey my youngest son killed was called to his gun from start to finish with this boatpaddle long box. I hope that when I'm gone, he will add my name to the bottom of the box and keep hunting with it.

Tarheel

Here are the pictures of the sides....

callmakerman

I love calls with history and this one has plenty. Your artwork looks amazing as always and I'm sure the sound of this call is as well. Thank you for sharing.

callmakerman

I forgot to mention. I really like that holster that you carry your box calls in. Very nice piece of work.

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!

The call............the artwork..........the history........... !!!!!!!!    :o

Just OUTSTANDING, sir !!!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

packmule

That's a turkey hunting tool!  Thanks for posting the photos.  I'm curious, how long is the call body? 

turkey stew

Marvin, Thank you for showing us your deadly long box and the history it helped you create! Awesome memories!

Tarheel

The box is 12" exactly and the paddle is a fraction under 13" for it to hang over the box front and back.  I shaped the box handle to fit more comfortably a right-handed player.  I also made the leather holster.  I notch the call when that is the only turkey call I've used from start to finish for the kill.  I'll admit most of the notches are for kills made after 10:00 am and later in the morning.  At first light, I'm mostly using my trumpet yelper.....

3bailey3

Very nice Marvin, thanks for sharing!

Bedge7767

Jim

packmule

Quote from: turkey stew on March 20, 2023, 04:16:56 PM
Marvin, Thank you for showing us your deadly long box and the history it helped you create! Awesome memories!

x2 thank you. Wonderful post.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

Wow, you certainly nailed it on your first attempt. Smart not to alter it, it may look rough to you now that your work and skill has developed, but the character and honesty of that first attempt is preserved forever. You can't fake the autheticity of a call like this, its connections to family, place and times afield. What a great, priceless family heirloom. Something to be be truly proud of. Your son's got great taste! And what a cool dad!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tarheel

Thank you all!!!

In my way of thinking, the value of a turkey call is determined by the turkey kills it has contributed to you making and the memories you have from getting out in the turkey woods turkey hunting with it. 

fishr64

Awesome call with lots of memories made!! It sounds like you hit a home run during your first at bat.